type of oil for a 1983 gl100I

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, sorry guys, I found that not only does my oldwing run and clutch work much better but I have lost weight and actually look much younger since I started using Valvoline 20-50 moto oil.

Why do I use it? It is what the local Autozone carries and I have an old high mileage moto and I live in a blazing hot climate.... hence the higher viscosity.

I also get enormously high mpg..30!

So! Go with Valvy! Or whatever you can find locally and cheap. Change every 3k along with the filter... :good:
Brian in NM

Hi Frank, I thought my post was so silly that everyone would see the humor...guess it wasn't....I get better mileage with my ancient Subaru than I do with my sidecar rig.

True, 30 mpg is terrible mileage for a moto but not bad for a house and I can live out of my sidecar rig for months on end..... :cool:

Not only does it have huge carrying capacity and a removable hammock pole so I only need one post to hang my hammock but plenty of room for my new tent-cot. It now has a group 27 marine deepcycle/starter battery also I can use anything electrical I want in camp...plus, my dog buddy goes with me....

Oh yeah, it is a tripod, doesn't ever tip over with the old man on it and I can ride anywhere, anytime.

All that, and I've only lost 15 mpg from a stock two wheeler....cool huh?
Brian in NM :yahoo:

I saw the humor.

Aapple, if I went by the oil jug I have next to my bike I'd end up pouring in used oil :smilie_happy:

Honestly I don't know what I put in mine last time, could have been the cheapest stuff Pep Girls had, most likely was.

:Doh2: i have been using castrol 20 - 50 gtx sense i put the old girl on the road in 06. same stuff i use in my old p/u . course its a little on the warm side down south .a little over 91,000 now. original clutch , one head gasket and water pump and wheel brgs and brake system rebuild , put the old girl back on the road after a 4 1/2 year lay up. it seems that the po had the water pump go out and got it hot . blew the head gasket and park it along side his garge. lucky find for me.

OK heres my two cents;I use 10W40 BECAUSE with 20W50 I had starter clutch issues that continued even after replacing the starter clutch. Changed oil ,problem gone. And of course ONLY REAL OIL no synthetic stuff,not even partial syn.,the clutch plates don`t like it,ask me how I know.