Unslugged the Slug!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
My '82 Standard has been known as "The Slug" for quite some time now. Strange name for a bike, but it fit. She would never win a race off the starting line, that is for sure. But, she also was a bit slow getting up to speed towing the trailer and didn't like running below 2200 RPM in any gear without lugging the engine while under a load.

Yesterday, I put her seat back on for the first time since rebuilding the wire harness. I did a bunch of other work that warranted a quick ride around the block (front pads and rotors replaced, steering head bearings replaced, original '82 coils reinstalled with a brand new resistor, self cancelling turn signals repaired).

It was cooler out than I would have wanted for a quick test ride (42 degrees), but I wasn't going far. Out of the driveway I slipped and putted down the street checking the new front brakes and rotors (nice and smooth). A bit of throttle and suddenly, she took off like a bat! :shock:

When Joedrum talks about "seat of the pants improvements" on Hooch, I can tell you this is one of those moments. I shot around the block and tried up to 3rd gear but the bike was going too fast in a residential neighborhood. I mean, she's got some power now! In 2nd gear I got drop down as low as 2000 RPM with no sign of lugging or primary chain slap like she always did before. :clapping: :Egyptian: :moped:

So, what changed???

For starters (no pun intended) :hihihi: , a rebuilt wire harness, re-routed wires and split the electrical load, ignition coils have a brand new ballast resistor with new wiring, added at least 4 new grounds to the wire harness including replacing the original ground wire as a place to start. No carb changes.

To be fair, the "Slug" has been running with a wire harness that came from the donor wrecked '81 1100. Why? Well, here was the condition of the poor girl when we got her:

image.php

image.php

She was seized up, blown engine, left out in the weather for 12 years and many parts needed to come off and be replaced just to get her running. I had stripped the bike down to the frame for cleaning and painting and noticed some bad wires back then (2007).

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

The '81 donor had lots of goodies:

image.php

Now, before you go asking, "why didn't you just fix the running/wrecked '81?", the '81 frame was bent at the triple tree. The kid that owned her hit a high curb at speed an significantly damaged the front end. The surprising part was the triple tree was fine, but the forks, frame and front wheel were bent. Plus, the right side rear shock mount was stripped in the final drive, the final drive itself was dry and torn up inside. She was a high mileage bike (over 140K on the clock), but she made a great donor!

In the process of taking the engine from her, I needed a wire harness that not only matched the engine, but also had no broken or corroded wires. The '81 harness and coils were intact so it was swapped over. The '81 engine slipped right in. As time went on, I noticed the engine was really noisy. I was a noobie to 1100's in 2007 and really didn't know what they were supposed to sound like. One day, while riding to work, another '82 1100 Interstate pulled up along side. Holy mackeral that engine was quiet! I knew something might be a bit off. Rather then sound like a smooth running sewing machine with a little growl, she sounded like a diesel!

Listen to the tapping/knocking at 3-4K. Mind you, I am purposely throttling hard to make it tap and I am speed shifting since I am holding the camera in my left hand. This engine kept right on running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SyhI7BDnhE

In this video, it is a cold startup and you can hear the bearings rattle initially until the oil pressure comes up. Surprisingly, no smoke and 150 compression on all 4!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pksFHj4mLu8

In 2010, I found another engine. It was an '83 engine which has different gearing than the '81 and '82, but I knew the gearing would help drop RPM's at highway speed. The '81 engine was running close to 5200 RPM at 75 MPH. The '83 engine ran closer to 4000 RPM at 75 MPH. That is a huge difference at highway speed for long trips.

The gearing issue is related to the fact that the transmissions between the '81-'83 1100's have slightly different ratios plus the final drives were also slightly different. Lastly, the '80-'81 1100's have different size wheels. All of it adds up to different engine RPMs under different conditions. I was shooting for the lowest RPM at highway speed with the '82 wheel and final drive. The '83 engine fit the bill.

image.php

image.php

image.php

The down side, getting lower RPM's at highway speed meant a bit more power was needed to get her going in 1st gear. Hence, her name, "The Slug".

Gearing wasn't the only issue. The carbs needed a rebuild too. All of that was done and the old girl moved along nicely! Lots of trips over the highway. Camped out a lot (although a bit overloaded). :hihihi:

image.php

image.php

In September 2013, I removed the Vetter Faring and restored the bike back to an original Standard with a windshield.

image.php

image.php

Lightening the bike up helped her gain some more power and in 2015 I added a trailer rather than load up the bike:

image.php

All of this time, the '81 wire harness and ignition system has been the primary electrical power for the bike. I was never crazy about the fact the headlight always came on with the key on, holding the brakes lights on drew a lot of power and the '81 coils had the ballast resistor in the coils rather than external.

Rebuilding the wire harness basically allowed me to add new wire in place of worn out or broken wires, run the ignition system to a clean terminal that had direct 12 power from the battery and not a shared wire that runs through the whole harness to every other 12 volt connection, and the coils. Pulled the original '82 coils out of mothballs:

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Although the wiring was in really rough shape, the coils themselves tested OK. By a whim, an 1982 Honda NOS ballast resistor and harness showed up on Ebay!

image.php

image.php

More incentive to get the wire harness finished.

Installing the rebuilt harness with the new fuse/relay panel and replaced ballast resister wire harness and running a clean 12 volts to the ignition may have really helped this old girl! Maybe having the original '82 coils with the clean wiring alone really makes a difference. Or, maybe the reality is, these old Honda wire harnesses on our bikes are plain worn out and they create enough resistance to stop a good clean spark. With the right amount of volts and amps to the electrical system, it sure seems to me that this was/is a worthwhile endeavor.

By way of reminder, I have not changed the stator. But it is pushing out voltage nicely!

The "Slug" has been "un-slugged" and I could not be happier! The new owners will have more power than I ever did. :hi:

This is one righteous build and story. Have really enjoyed your work and the next owner will appreciate what you have done. Bravo Zulu as I used to say in my other life!!

I have always been pleased with the performance of the Rats Nest (except the brakes) and just assumed it was because of the lowest ratios for the 1100s. That being said Dads 82 always felt better and I always wished that I had ended up with an 82 even though the Rats Nest will not be replaced, it is family. :yes:
Nice to see that all your hard work has paid off Gerry even if you won’t be getting all the benefits of riding a perfectly performing Gl1100. :whistling:

Nice work, Jerry...nothing like a happy surprise! Just like a fuel system, and our own bodies, electrical systems work so much better when they're well-fed and everything flows well.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215802#p215802:3gkwjqw0 said:
D-50Dave » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:33 am[/url]":3gkwjqw0]
When you're done, I could bring mine down for "The Treatment". :yes:

Sure! Bring her down Dave! It only took me 4 years to get to this point. I am sure I could knock yours out in under 3 years. :hihihi:

Projects do last a while. Looking into striped wiring and have found some. You've been an inspiration to me in the wiring department as well as other areas. Hope my 1200 turns out just as well.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215803#p215803:2ge2k2y4 said:
mcgovern61 » Yesterday, 9:05 am[/url]":2ge2k2y4]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215802#p215802:2ge2k2y4 said:
D-50Dave » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:33 am[/url]":2ge2k2y4]
When you're done, I could bring mine down for "The Treatment". :yes:

Sure! Bring her down Dave! It only took me 4 years to get to this point. I am sure I could knock yours out in under 3 years. :hihihi:
Maybe I need to purchase the Slug from you to tide me over until you're done with mine.

Maybe I need to purchase the Slug from you to tide me over until you're done with mine.

I like your plan! I could ride the Slug to you and bring yours back (One last ride for me to the new owner!) :hihihi:

Latest posts