Using the GL1500's Pulse Generators for 4cyl. GL10/GL11/GL12

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically what the vacuum unit is on the GL1100 and 84' GL1200 is a vacuum distributor like on a car.

It has a cam on it, vacuum pot for advancing, weights, springs.

Vacuum pot pulls a Slide, cam on vacuum unit is advanced & weights pull out.

I am sure you guys have heard of re-curving you distributor right?

Where you would change the weights, and maybe change to a slightly lighter set of springs to get advance a little bit earlier.

The distributor on the back of the GL11/84' 12, can be advanced more than what it is, with some tweaking.

But you are going to need to check your total advance to see where you are, then adjust from there.

I am not sure on the GL10 as i have not had any time tuning them to see how they work.

I Completely rebuilt my brother in laws 75' GL10, from the ground up.

But that was about three years ago, I had the heads off and the cams out, I went through everything, dang I wish that was more recent.

Yea! Me too!

Now! I can do, what I like to do.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97339#p97339:35vyn8l4 said:
ekvh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:49 pm[/url]":35vyn8l4]
West, I'm so glad you're done with your moving.

Here is a Picture of the GL11 & 84' GL12,

Vacuum Distributor.

There is a few parts that are missing from this Picture, the slide plate, it does the advance/retard plate slides when vac. pot is pulled or released, the slide plate has on it, the weights, springs.

Stub cam goes in between it

But in that picture you can see the cam (short stub) for the vac. advance unit

That has to be a picture of a 1200 pickup assembly because the actual pickup coils in the 1100 look different.
Also there's no vacuum advance diaphragm in that pic, 1200 does the advance in its "black box".
On the 1100 there's a hole in the side of the housing to hold the diaphragm can.

gl11
gl11.jpg

Yes!

That is the GL1100,

After re-building mine, it appears that the mechanical side of it, is a fairly robust unit.

With exception to the diaphragm, and PG's, and wear items like springs, but a weaker spring still may be OK, as a lighter spring may advance more quickly.

New, replacement springs can be had at many places but would have to be tested, and proper spring pressure could be tested. again going to a spring with a little lighter pressure, may prove to provide some more advance, a little lower in rpm range, as centrifugal force pushes the weights out, the springs keeps them from going out to fast.

The Cam & PG's are for timing, as a, I see it switch then you get a response, like fire the coil, Kind of like a counter, on a ABS brake system, switch counts off times it sees each segment, and determines by preset rythems which response to use

Question is, How much wear or slop is in your Mechanical parts, if everything is still tight, then you should good.

Another question is, how clean are all the mechanical parts? any rust on them? Mine had some rust from all the years of No Maintenance!!! to this important part.

Another question, Have the Mechanical parts been lubed properly, Mine was So Dry, the slide plate would not rotate, and the rust was not helping.

Diaphragm condition.

What is your Diaphragm condition? Mine had two holes in the Diaphragm, and would Not hold Vacuum for even a second when hooked up to a mighty vac.

So vacuum diaphragm was in-operable.

No way, my bike was going to run right with all these problems.

They had to all be fixed first.

So i would have a good starting point.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97374#p97374:kae0dnmi said:
82a » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:10 pm[/url]":kae0dnmi]
gl11
file.php

As seen in the picture of the diaphragm,

There is a threaded adjustment, it has a small amount of adjustment here, but any is better than None at all.

And a little goes along way.

I adjusted mine to make it slightly shorter, so it would advance a little more, it would pull a little more when under a load.

I have not checked Full timing, to see where it is at, but should probably do that, to see where i am at.

I am not getting any pinging, I am running Premium gas.

My bike runs really good.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97374#p97374:2pssmodp said:
82a » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:10 pm[/url]":2pssmodp]
gl11
file.php

I wish i still had mine apart to test a few things like,

How much mechanical slop do we have in this system, How much can i move the timing cam back and fourth, mechanically.

Next question how much can I take out? to make the ignition more repeatable, in it's firing at the right time.

I would like this thread to ask and hopefully answer, or at least get us looking for a solution, or a cheap upgrade, that may fix multiple issues with our aging ignitions.

True!, the Black boxes for our 4CYL. engines are a dying breed.

What can be done here?

I have never heard of anyone using the black box from a GL1500, it is a 6cyl. yes,

Question is would the Black box from a GL1500 work on a GL11/12?

I am not sure what the timing sequence & timing is for the sixes, I would think, it would be different, and firing at a different timing than our 4's are.

A Abundance of Old parts is where we should be looking.

GL1500, and a 12 year run, makes sense to look here first.

We are in uncharted territory

Wasted spark? would the other cylinders coil firing be wasted as well?

I am just trying to get us thinking, or search threads or sites for previously done applications that may work.

Keep at it, but the C5 is beginning to look like the best alternative, albeit expensive. Recent post by Paul at NGW explain the multiple spark in more detail.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97531#p97531:36z4swcj said:
ekvh » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:47 am[/url]":36z4swcj]
Keep at it, but the C5 is beginning to look like the best alternative, albeit expensive. Recent post by Paul at NGW explain the multiple spark in more detail.

If it can improve fuel economy ( burning unburnt fuel ) then we just need to ride long enough for it to pay for itself :yes:

I have 3ea Old 4cy. wings $500 x3 = $1500.00 for me.

I cannot justify $1500.00.

What I can do, is buy a set of GL1500 PG's for $20.00.

Put them on my shelf, just in case, if a black box fails I will find one at that time or keeps investigating into what can be done on the cheap.

For me, $500.00 is a nice start for some Vacation money.

I could always Change one bike to the C5 Ignition to see how i like it.

I was hoping there would be a discount or Group buy,

But there was nothing ever posted, as far as a 40% discount.

Unless i missed it

I don't think you'll ever see a 40% discount because that's a lot less than it costs him.

A discount like that would be like me doing electrical service that costs me money to do the job.
I would never do it and I wouldn't expect anyone else to.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97634#p97634:2fn5e4q2 said:
dan filipi » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:10 am[/url]":2fn5e4q2]
I don't think you'll ever see a 40% discount because that's a lot less than it costs him.

A discount like that would be like me doing electrical service that costs me money to do the job.
I would never do it and I wouldn't expect anyone else to.
Agreed. Volume discounts are not uncommon for the sale of items, normally no more than 10%. The key word here though is VOLUME! There has to be enough product moving to offer the discount. IMHO.

(Back to the thread.)

Yes, absolutely volume is the key.

I do work at a discount for apartment managers because the volume helps to make up the difference.
There are plenty of times I've given managers discounts counting on the volume return later which never came. Now I'm very reluctant.
I would imagine (and rightly so) Paul is reluctant for the same reasons.
I sure would be, especially since making up the difference would mean money out of my pocket, even just a limited quantity at that discount. He'd be hoping the full price sales come along later to make up.
Not a smart business move in my opinion.

Just won a ebay bid for $14.00 for a pair of GL1500 Pulse Generators, $6.00 shipping

I negotiated that price down.

So i bought a pair of GL1500, PG's for $20 bucks shipped to my house.

I have my 84' GL1200 that I can get at, to see the physical size, difference's, and compare the way they each mount.