Using the GL1500's Pulse Generators for 4cyl. GL10/GL11/GL12

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westgl

Reaction score
This thread is to explore the possibilities for,

using the GL1500 Pulse generators in our 4-cylinder Oldwings

GL10 has Points or Dyna igintion

But GL11/GL12 already use Pulse Generator's already.

I have a link I will post of a GL12 using the GL1500 Pulse generator.

There is also the C5 Ignition, but it is out of My pricing range for now.

I do not Currently have $500.00 in the budget for the C5 Ignition system.

Goals:
I would at this point in time Like to improvise and come up with a collaborated effort to make a Ignition that is better than what we currently using, that is,

In-Expensive, but Durable and easy to install.

Link:

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... ost2502666

------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The enquiring minds want to know. Do the 1100 and 1200's have an ignitor as well as the pulse generator? I definitely need to find something better and reliable and abundant and affordable. If the 1500's will cross in, it will be great. My understanding is that the 1200's use a computer and vacuum for advance. I would like to be able to use the 1200 pg's on my hybrid, but I'd like to get away from the computer. They will eventually become unavailable as no one is making them any more. I know the C5 is the best option yet, but still spendy. Not they aren't worth it, just too much for me right now. Anyone have a pic of a 1500 pg?

Guys I tweak and Critique My own Posts at least twenty or more each

So refresh them often as you may have gotten the first revision of post #2 that has changed 20 times since you have seen it last

Refresh you page go back up to the top there is a link to a guy that put the GL1500 PG's On his GL1200.

The GL1200 uses a black box that has a vacuum line to it.

The GL11's & 84' GL12 uses back of engine Advance mechanism & Vacuum pot, w/ PG's to advance retard, & time the ignition timing

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96017#p96017:11o7ge7p said:
ekvh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:13 am[/url]":11o7ge7p]
The enquiring minds want to know. Do the 1100 and 1200's have an ignitor as well as the pulse generator? I definitely need to find something better and reliable and abundant and affordable. If the 1500's will cross in, it will be great. My understanding is that the 1200's use a computer and vacuum for advance. I would like to be able to use the 1200 pg's on my hybrid, but I'd like to get away from the computer. They will eventually become unavailable as no one is making them any more. I know the C5 is the best option yet, but still spendy. Not they aren't worth it, just too much for me right now. Anyone have a pic of a 1500 pg?

In this thread, I think we should do a few things

1. Identify all parts that are used/needed to make up a stock OEM GL11 ignition. (Then do the same for the GL12) (Then do the same for the GL15)
2. Build a "Bill of Materials" (I am good with spread sheets and MS Office, so i can do the spread sheets) for each Model of Goldwing with OEM part Numbers per Model of Bike. But there is a lot of Info gathering that needs to be done.
3. Identify Approximated, Price/cost for these parts,
4. Identify, ability to use mix and match parts from newer Goldwings to provide something better, that is cheap/In-expensive, with the same form, fit and function, or with the least amount of Modification required

This is Not a 1-man Band and it Will take a collaborated effort By all to make it a reality.

While I applaud the effort and the goal. It seems to me that all stock ignitions are pretty much the same. Using hall effect pickups and various other electronics the end effect should be pretty close in function across the board. Newer parts may produce stronger spark or may not. The manufacturers of all the bikes will use what works and has low cost to them. I'll save up for the c5 and hope my bike runs until I swap to the c5. For user friendly reliability I'll keep points in some of my bikes but the 1100 location makes that a bad option.

Actually slabghost,

This Thread is not about getting a stronger spark.

But if that is a experienced out come, do to a part that is weak and on it's way out, then great

The reason for this thread,

Is to tap into another source of readily available parts that were maybe unknown to some that could be used to keep their Oldwings going.

The Better Part, is a part that is More Durable and that can take more Heat without failure.

This is where the GL1500 PG's come in.

As most of us know having the PG's available as used for our Model of Bike, and being able to find that part then to test it and find out that it is bad, and start searching again is not a good way to go.

The GL1500 PG addition, to our 4cyl. oldwing is to add Durability, in a Known weak and fragile area of our Ignition system.

If nothing else, a couple parts on the shelf, may be good for some spare parts

I would also go the C5 route, But at $500ea., I have a 83' GL11, 84' GL12, 86' GL12, $1500 $$ later.

What is the warranty on the C5,
When the warranty is UP!
What is replacement cost of failed parts?
what about availability of parts years down the road? some companies dont last the test of time

With the Honda GL1500 PG's there is a BIG Surplus of parts around, as the GL1500 was a very Big selling bike, look at some manufacturing numbers for the GL1500, from 1988'-2000'

=========================================================

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96079#p96079:2azmnrq5 said:
slabghost » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:39 pm[/url]":2azmnrq5]
While I applaud the effort and the goal. It seems to me that all stock ignitions are pretty much the same. Using hall effect pickups and various other electronics the end effect should be pretty close in function across the board. Newer parts may produce stronger spark or may not. The manufacturers of all the bikes will use what works and has low cost to them. I'll save up for the c5 and hope my bike runs until I swap to the c5. For user friendly reliability I'll keep points in some of my bikes but the 1100 location makes that a bad option.

true west ... this is why im so behind this product ... it is home grown and is the best ...word must get out ...im not into warranties as justification of inferior products ... iknow its huge today .. its just not me ... and how I think

Joe,

I appreciate what you are saying,

But you have More than 1-each Goldwing correct?

Are you going to be able to outfit them all with a C5 Iggy?

This may be another alternative, that can work,

with a very large supply of parts availability.

12 years of production for the GL1500.

C5 has a 6 month warranty of a unknown new product

The GL1500 parts have a good history as a Durable part.

I am not saying the C5 ignition is bad, just not enough time in,

for me to drop $1500.00 for three units

I went to Ebay,

I did some current price Checking for the GL1500 Pulse Generators

the prices ranged from

$16.99/pair for the GL1500 PG's to $99.00/pair, all of them included Free Shipping.

West brings up some valid points here and I think it's a good idea to pursue these options.

I've always taken an open minded approach to things and if there's a way to keep these bikes going cheaper then it's a good quest.

I have found that the c5 in all my talks with Paul and my own experience is far superior in timing and performance.

Interesting to note Paul has been contacted by a guy running a super charger with Dyna ignition which has failed 3 times.
From discussions it sounds like the Dyna coils can't take the heat. or at least that's part of the problem.

Not intended to be a bash on Dyna, many have success with them but under extreme conditions their reliability is questionable.
3 Dyna systems cost (so far) compared to one C5, the math is simple which one costs less.

The 1500's work off the crank too? Sounds like for 1100/ 1200 they'll work, but need computer for 85-up. I don't see how they will fit on the 1000. They look too tall to fit under the cover. I guess a plate with longer screws could be made to provide room.

The Object of this thread is to collaborate ideas,

Then when/if someone does take the plunge to mod go to the GL1500 pg's they can provide the data in one place instead of 30 posts

In 3 different forums.

This will may or may Not, be a one person provides a List for all to go by.

There is No I in team, the team has to make it work.

I have a GL11 & 2 gl12's & 2 GL15

I do not have a GL1000, My Brother in law, does.

I currently have PG's in my GL11 & GL12's they are Model Specific.

If i were to do a change to GL1500 PG's, I would think at least on the GL11/GL12 it would be a wire change only, just swapping the PG's out other mounting.

Anyone has any ideas on that?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96106#p96106:1nr4895m said:
ekvh » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:59 am[/url]":1nr4895m]
The 1500's work off the crank too? Sounds like for 1100/ 1200 they'll work, but need computer for 85-up. I don't see how they will fit on the 1000. They look too tall to fit under the cover. I guess a plate with longer screws could be made to provide room.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96017#p96017:1kg0vgjs said:
ekvh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm[/url]":1kg0vgjs]
Anyone have a pic of a 1500 pg?

Attachments

• $T2eC16N,!zQE9s3srYOoBRgDO+FeRQ~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16N,!zQE9s3srYOoBRgDO+FeRQ~~60_57.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 141
The 1100/1200 PG's defiantly look cheaper.

Two piece plastic cover, on the 11/12's and the wiring looks like it is either smaller or at least the shielding is smaller.

The 15 looks more HD

For $20.00 for a pair of the GL1500 PG's

I am going to buy a Pair of them and install them on my 84' GL1200, Just to see how they would mount, and what I need do to Modify the mounting

That's worth a $20.00 test