Valve lash !!!! HELP !!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tory

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was finishing up my head gasket job,and was setting the valve lash but I am having trouble with the right side.

I had everything set right,and doubled checked them a second time.But when I started the bike I had a bad lifter tick from the right side rough idle and a periodic pop.
I shut it off,and rechecked the lash and the intake valvles on the right head where way loose,so I redid them and tried again but same thing.
So I backed the adjusters way off,blue some cleaner spray through the gap and reset them again,but this time I just rolled the moter around 2 or 3 revolutions by hand and sure enough they where way loose again.
I dont think I feel any hard contact when I roll it over,but it is a little tight at t1 and t2 every other revolution,but I would think its soposed to.

What gives? please help

Tory, I think it sounds like your timing belt is off by one tooth on your right cam. When the motor spins that tiny little bit past T1 on the crank, the belt is turning the cam just a tad more than TDC.

I wondered,but didnt think one tooth would cause an issue,I do plan on pulling the cover off and rechecking tomorow,but was thinking it must be more.And I know I doubled check every thing,I can see being off one tooth though.Thanks for the response.

Do you think I hurt anything?

Tory":10xjwqif said:
I wondered,but didnt think one tooth would cause an issue,I do plan on pulling the cover off and rechecking tomorow,but was thinking it must be more.And I know I doubled check every thing,I can see being off one tooth though.Thanks for the response.

Do you think I hurt anything?

Naw! It is just that the right cam has tension on it from the valve springs when you are setting the belts and cams and it has a tendency to slip a little just when you put the belt onto the crank shaft pulley. It is common to end up off one tooth and a pain to get it right afterwards.

Two teeth off is real close to the metal.

Three teeth off and you are gonna hit the valves!

When you set the head torque, did you recheck it after it was heated up? The bolts tend to stretch a bit after first going back in and normally require a second round of torqueing.

Yeah,I had a hard time with that side this time,and seemed like I was off a 1/2 one way or the other,but didnt seem like it was possible to get perfect.Should have went the other way.
Just didnt think that little bit would cause all this grief.

I hadent had a chance to warm it up yet.Only ran for about 30 seconds.And was to noisy to let run longer.
But yes I willl recheck torque after I can run it a little longer.

Tory":1v0b3qmy said:
Yeah,I had a hard time with that side this time,and seemed like I was off a 1/2 one way or the other,but didnt seem like it was possible to get perfect.Should have went the other way.
Just didnt think that little bit would cause all this grief.
There is a trick to getting it right. Make a mark on your crank for TDC when in the up position with white out. Mark the left and right cam arrows with white out also. (Makes it easy for us old guys to see!)

Set the left side belt first (right belt looking at the engine) and be sure the marks are perfect (crank pulley up and down and cam pulley arrow pointing 90 degrees. Next, with the right side belt tensioner hanging from one bolt, place the belt on the crank pulley first and using a 12mm socket wrench turn the right side cam pulley up to line up the arrow a little higher than 270 degrees as you slide the belt over the top of the pulley from right to left and around. Ease off of the socket and let the spring tension of the valves pull the belt tight. The teeth should be right on.

T1 is the timing set mark and on one setting the valves will be tight and on the other (360 crank 180 cam) it will be loose... as far as the tooth off.. be careful there is a second mark on my gears.. where the timing is on one edge of a tooth skip a tooth and there is a mark on the opposite side of that tooth so they are aboout 1 1/2 teeth apart.. caused issues with me and checking timing..

Yes,I remember a second mark,but one was a slot or line,the other looked like a casting flaw.
This isnt the first time I did this,Dont know why I am having troubles this time.

When I did belts the first time I had alot of trouble finding out which mark is the correct one so I thought I'd post here a picture.
(Not saying you have the wrong mark Tory, just for reference)

image.php

What I noticed on my original '82 engine, the '81 engine and the '83 is that when the spoke that says "up" is at 0 degrees straight up, the timing marks are exactly 90 degrees or 270 degrees depending on which pully you are looking at.

What I like to do is use the white out to mark the cam gear AND the belt (2 places just makes it easier) on both cam gears and the crank gear. So that now the belt is marked to the gear(s). Then when I get the belt off I match it up with the new belt and transfer the marks to the new belt with white out. Now going back togeather with the new belt, the belt has marks that correspond with the marks on the gears. This really simplifies the process and saves time and headbanging. No more guessing a 1/2 tooth off this way or that way.

Works for me. :yes:

Yep,I feel like an idiot, I had the wrong mark on the right side.The wrong one is so much neater and looks more correct.The correct one is just a imperfect dot. :head bang:

Unfortunitly I think I did some damage. :Awe: The valve lash stays put now,but its not running good, and is poping a little.

I will have to do a compresion test but need an adapter for the smaller plug holes.

Does anyone have a spare right head for sale? Will all 1100s be the same? :beg:

A real bummer to,the annual Blessing Of The Bikes is this weekend up in baldwin and this will be the first year the old girl dont get her sermon.With everything else going on I was really looking forward to a day away.

Yeah,Im thinking one or both of the intake valves are bent,
I didnt start it with out rolling it around first,but they must have hit if they changed the valve lash right?

Regaurdless,Ill have to pull the head back off and check it out.Im sure Ill need another HONDA head gasket(remember thats where it started.)This weekend is a goner,but I am planning a trip to camp lejuene N.C. to see my son next month and will go into a great depresion if I have to take a cage.

Check the pistons for indents and such, bending a valve takes a good hit. Just to be on the safe side. If there happens to be a little burr or pit polish it off a wee bit to prevent hot spots on the piston head.

dam tory im sorry that happen its amazing how easy it is to get led in the wrong direction where your hard work gose against you....the head might be alright and jus valves need to be chanaged ....keep those eyes and thoughts on the right track now ...it could have been whorst a lot whorst

:head bang: :head bang: :head bang: :Awe: :Awe: :shock: :nea: :Doh2: :crying: :crying: :head bang: :head bang: ifeel better now

Yeah,it can always be worse.I decided to take a night off from the garage and spend it with the wife and son.They have put up with a pretty fowl mood the last couple days.I owe them dinner.

I ordered a N.O.S. Honda head gasket and 2 intake valves from EBAY last night and will hope for the best.The real bummer is that with my wife still down and out Ive not gotten much good riding in this year.I had arranged for my sister-in-law to stay with her while I took off with a few buddys up north,and caught up and get away for a bit.Now not only do I not get away,I have to spend saterday and sunday with my sister in law. :head bang:

:clapping: Next month!!!!!Next month :music: ,the end of june I am riding to jacksonville N.C.(camp lejuene)I am so looking forward to it,I may even pick up a bit of the blue ridge on the way :grin: One whole week,9 days to be excact,alone and away.

Who lives between here and there? :)

Latest posts