Valve lash !!!! HELP !!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dan filipi":231hqeta said:
When I did belts the first time I had alot of trouble finding out which mark is the correct one so I thought I'd post here a picture.
(Not saying you have the wrong mark Tory, just for reference)

image.php

Tha is the exact mark I used and the heads jammed on mine spent over an hour checking and rechecking then noticed the "UP" mark was to much to the outside from Roady's picture.. and then used the "pimple" since it is out and not in ( in would be Dimple).. and then readjusted valves and bingo.. no locked up head.. I did all my spinning by hand.. (against my let the motor work for you mindset)...

Joep":134ypeqv said:
dan filipi":134ypeqv said:
When I did belts the first time I had alot of trouble finding out which mark is the correct one so I thought I'd post here a picture.
(Not saying you have the wrong mark Tory, just for reference)

image.php

Tha is the exact mark I used and the heads jammed on mine spent over an hour checking and rechecking then noticed the "UP" mark was to much to the outside from Roady's picture.. and then used the "pimple" since it is out and not in ( in would be Dimple).. and then readjusted valves and bingo.. no locked up head.. I did all my spinning by hand.. (against my let the motor work for you mindset)...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean Joep, are you saying the correct mark ended up being the mark I have tagged as "Correct timing mark" WAS the correct one?

Yes sir!!! I first had used the slot/notch as I did not see the timeing Pimple the first couple of times.. it stood out more.. then I compared it to the left and it was matching the timing mark over there when I reversed the gear to see.. and I found out my left gear was marked "R on the reverse.. with a tiny arrow pointing to that tab... and my right sprocket looks just like yours.. and was diffrent from the left in style .. left had round holes and right was spokes..

A real bummer to,the annual Blessing Of The Bikes is this weekend up in baldwin and this will be the first year the old girl dont get her sermon.With everything else going on I was really looking forward to a day away.

I'm working hard to make it this year... right down to the wire..
But if I do get there, I'll have the backrest take some pictures... she's quite the shutter bug :D

sorry about your bad luck bro.
remember we do have an pretty good salvage yard up here in Mt.Pleasant
I'm frequently there, and can make the trip over there if you need.

you look to be about 2hrs south of me..
an hour for each to meet close to the middle, or nice weekend ride :)
let me know if I can help.

Thanks for the offer jim,but I do have parts coming(I hope)but I would love to see the pics.
The meet and greet sounds good,but Ill wait untell I can take the bike. Enjoy youre weekend if you can make it. ;)

I checked compresion this morning,and the left two cylinders are at 175psi,and zilch on the right.

I disassembled it today and both intake valves are bent.But fortunetly the pistons and head apear fine.
The gasket and valves have already shipped,and I should be back to where I left off,a week later than I started. :roll:

This time I marked the gear at the correct spot,(pimple is an overstatement)and as stupid as I feel for such a dumb mistake,I will never make it again.I guess that makes me smarter now.

There is a small mark on both pistons,but no gouges(pay no attention to the gasket crud on the right valve.

Attachments

• vintage rice burners 012.JPG
    vintage rice burners 012.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 98
  • vintage rice burners 013.JPG
    vintage rice burners 013.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 99
  • vintage rice burners 014.JPG
    vintage rice burners 014.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 101
When it rains it poors
So,I got the valves today.Great :lol:
But I also got the gasket today and unfortunitly it is wrong.
As I read the listing again it is my fault,but they showed a head gasket(stating picture may not be the correct part)and gave a part number.But it is a clucth cover gasket. :Awe:

I knew the price was to good to be true. :smilie_happy:

Anyone know where I can get a HONDA head gasket quick?

Tory":1wmbprwb said:
Anyone know where I can get a HONDA head gasket quick?

cheapcycleparts is pretty fast on shipping.
Otherwise I call around to all the Honda dealers to get it faster.
I once drove out 85 miles to get one after calling at least 2 dozen dealers.

I wont have time to drive the 85 miles,working 10 hour days and keeping up at home,but was hoping to order via internet and have it this week.I seee one on EBAY for $55.00,but I only pais 30.00 for the first pair,to bad I cant reuse it. :smilie_happy:

Are the ones from cheap cycle parts HONDA brand?

Tory":17h0q3lv said:
Jim,
Did you make it to baldwin?
nope I missed it.
my buddy said they were lined up all the way through town and out past the tracks waiting to get into the airfeild..
was somethin to see.

I will post some more pics of what I did in a little bit.

jdegase":27te8vwq said:
Tory":27te8vwq said:
Jim,
Did you make it to baldwin?
nope I missed it.
my buddy said they were lined up all the way through town and out past the tracks waiting to get into the airfeild..
was somethin to see.

Yeah thats what I heard to.Some 20,000
Infact the friends I normally go with over slept untell 10:00am,sat in line for hours,and at 1:01pm where turned away at the gate.Service is at 1:00 at thats when they stop letting them in.
They said I was lucky I didnt go(knowing my inpataince)But I wouldnt of over slept. :hi: I NEVER OVER SLEEP :hi:

Tory":29d2b5qk said:

Whats up with that? :shock:

You must have seen the new rank images before I had a chance to finish the settings, Your an Active Member Tory.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=703

after everything you been though if it still leaks a little id leave it alone..at least for awhile :mrgreen: :mrgreen: time to ride and check out the atf :smilie_happy: :Doh2: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: glad to here its running you were pretty lucky :heat: :yahoo: :yahoo: good recovery :mrgreen:

Will do
Once I had it apart I decided to change the last brake line also.As well as go over everything I can think of before my trip. :builder:
I am also doing the very detailed cleaning,one componant at a time( like I should have done this winter :roll: )Now would be a great time to sell it ;) ,But then Id have to try to replace it.Looking forward to a nice ride this week sometime.
Thanks guys for the help. :clapping:

Latest posts