Valve springs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabghost

Reaction score
As some of you know I've been looking for replacement valve springs. I hope to find suitable replacements that are a bit stronger overall than the stock springs. My initial search found replacement springs listed individually at $7 for the inner and $8 for the outer springs. Since each valve requires one each a full set at these prices would add up to $120. A bit steep for stock in my book. My continued hunt though has uncovered a complete set for $80 here.
https://www.chromecrazy.net/product.php?id=2953
I have never dealt with these people so cannot say if their reputation is good or bad. I am continuing my hunt but thought I'd post a source for a full set in case any are in need.

Ooooohhhhhhhh.......so tempting!!!!!!!! An entire set! Lap the valves on the '81 heads with these new springs.....does it solve the knocking?????? My curiosity is killing me (so is my bank book!). Was it valve float and knocking from weak springs???? (Or just a worn out engine?) I would need get the gasket kit plus the springs to even find out since I started opening up the engine. ($230 total for all).

I've seen head gaskets for $25 each on ebay. Any other gaskets can be made pretty easily. If that doesn't cure a knock then you might need rod end bearings or main bearings. Both are still available. You could turn that boat anchor into a dependable rebuild.

mcgovern61":3p7e6rkd said:
.....does it solve the knocking??????

The verdict isn't in yet.
I think the only way we'll ever know is for someone with a top end knock to try it.

dan filipi":1xh2uomf said:
mcgovern61":1xh2uomf said:
.....does it solve the knocking??????

The verdict isn't in yet.
I think the only way we'll ever know is for someone with a top end knock to try it.
Thats part of the problem....we have not conclusively determined the knocks are top end or bottom end definitively.

Be careful here, stronger springs will close the valves with greater force which will help to stop valve float at very high revs but they will also be holding greater force against the camshaft increasing friction losses in power output and increasing wear rates in the valve train.
Maybe a fresh set of standard springs would be better general usage
:headscratch:

Dave":z7brnpo3 said:
Be careful here, stronger springs will close the valves with greater force which will help to stop valve float at very high revs but they will also be holding greater force against the camshaft increasing friction losses in power output and increasing wear rates in the valve train.
Maybe a fresh set of standard springs would be better general usage
:headscratch:
That is only partly true. The oiling system is quite liberal and efficient at the rockers and valve train. A little more pressure will actually limit wear the we now commonly notice because of springs too weak to follow the cams.

1st alternate springs to test are on the way to Joe. He has a motor in need of springs so he will be the first to try them. The springs are NOS performance springs for the old aircooled VW motor.

well will see there has to be a better performing springs for wingers to use ...as syock springs are rediculesly over priced and weak after 30 yrs of service ....personaly i think this the weakest link in the top end of these motors ....ive got my fingers crossed on the outcome of this ...im thinking and confident if the springs are close to what were looking for they will improve overall perfoance though out the rpm zone and will be better than original egineering and increase rpm tolerence and head and seat wear period :headscratch: :builder: :mrgreen:

:Awe: Seller sent the springs here! :Awe: :head bang: Now I have to reship them. They are just a tiny bit larger overall than stock. So should fit just fine. Progress is slow but it's still progress. :good:

wel ive got the springs now ....just need to get my valve spring compressure here to ge them installed for a test ....there a fat 1/16" wider than the stock springs so i will just have to see if the keepers will hold them good enough for use ... :mrgreen:

joedrum":1mqtol9s said:
....there a fat 1/16" wider

2 x 1/16 = 1/8, 2 x 1/8 = 1/2, 2 x 1/2 = 1. So if 1 = 25.4, 25.4 / 2 = 12.9, 12.9 / 2 = 6.3, 6.3 / 2 = 3.15, 3.15 / 2 = 1.575 :read: so they are 1.575 millimeters bigger , and they said that 9 years of schooling was wasted on me :smilie_happy: Ha, show'n them now :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

Dave":3fk3zq1y said:
joedrum":3fk3zq1y said:
....there a fat 1/16" wider

2 x 1/16 = 1/8, 2 x 1/8 = 1/2, 2 x 1/2 = 1. So if 1 = 25.4, 25.4 / 2 = 12.9, 12.9 / 2 = 6.3, 6.3 / 2 = 3.15, 3.15 / 2 = 1.575 :read: so they are 1.575 millimeters bigger , and they said that 9 years of schooling was wasted on me :smilie_happy: Ha, show'n them now :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:
huh? 2x1/8 = 1/4
Stock springs are 1.72" long these are 1.78" Width is about .010 bigger than stock.

toytender01":3igp4spd said:
Slab...you are not thinking Aussie so be careful you know how things get lost in the translation!!!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :Egyptian: :heat:
:head bang: Dang! I never larnt Aussie! :smilie_happy: :beer: :hihihi: