Vetter Shield Availibility and Custom Cutting

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krakum1967

Reaction score
Could use a new winscreen, mine is cracking around the vents. Want to shorten the shield. I want the top of the shield to be 2 inches below the eye line. I want to darken some of it to accent the new paint.

Who has screens, are they available in custom heights, or how can they be cut if they can be found?

Usually they're listed as stock or taller then stock.. You can cut them down... don't put excessive pressure on it when you do.. Mark your cut line and leave some room on the cut off side so you can sand to the line and make it nice... You can check with Dennis Kirk as they have replacements by fairing style for the Vetter fairings... that is one place I have seen them listed. There are others out there also
And they usually will list the height from the headlight or say OEM size...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122649#p122649:3f9gfqmb said:
krakum1967 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:04 am[/url]":3f9gfqmb]
Could use a new winscreen, mine is cracking around the vents. Want to shorten the shield. I want the top of the shield to be 2 inches below the eye line. I want to darken some of it to accent the new paint.

Who has screens, are they available in custom heights, or how can they be cut if they can be found?

Who has them: https://www.bikescreen.com/search.asp

How I cut mine starts on post # 20: https://www.vetterowners.com/threads/shortened-windscreen.201/

What I have found concerning tinting/darkening plexiglass is that tinting plexiglass is next to impossible if you want it to look really good, so I just painted the inside of mine. I wanted the black so I could "conceal" some things on top of the radio pod as I am on the road. It also give me a place for adding some propaganda. I like the finished look and I also like the extra wind that I get in my face during the hot months.

2394_5eaea7ea69c08ca88e77a964ae68732f..jpg

One thing to remember, once you start, there is no turning back, so don't take too much on the first try. Oh, and I would also recommend that you have an extra windscreen so you can put a full size back on for riding when it turns colder. I seem to be collecting them, so I have 4 windscreens so I had nothing to lose. :mrgreen:

Thats the look I am going for Brian, I saw yours and said YES, that jazzes up the old Vetter. I have no use for 36 inches of wind protection, and i do like wind in my face, its the chest and hands that get you here.

I have a 17, a 19, a 21, and an "I don't know how big sitting in Vermont" that I still need to go pick up. The 21" has the vent holes cut in it and the 17" I think was already cut down due to a minor accident the PO of the 1100 might have had. It was scratched at the top, so which one to cut down was an easy decision.

If you don't have a band saw, a jig saw with a fine tooth blade will work also, just make sure it isn't a hacksaw blade. Plexigless cuts easy. Just remember, like Joep mentioned, leave a little extra so you can sand the edge smooth.

Ya Brian I like the look too. I was planning to use black adhesive backed material rather than paint. The chrome strip is so shiney, is it new? Are the mirrors drilled through the fairing?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122740#p122740:2g2o1ntl said:
tuna » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:20 pm[/url]":2g2o1ntl]
Ya Brian I like the look too. I was planning to use black adhesive backed material rather than paint. The chrome strip is so shiney, is it new? Are the mirrors drilled through the fairing?

New - nope, bought it used off of ebay. There is a little pitting on the one side: I have to think it was what was once on the outside, so I just flipped it around. I also use Never Dull to polish the chrome.

Mirrors - I used one of the pre-existing holes and then drilled a new hole through the windscreen and the fairing in one shot to get everything lined up.

I tired that Joe but just didn't like the mirrors that high, and then there was this also...

Capture.JPG

With a short windscreen on, it shouldn't be a problem but with a full size windscreen, I am sure that the combination of the bolts that hold the mirror on and a bolt in place of the clip would cause that top hole in the windscreen to break. Can't say for sure, but that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

I just sanded mine: inside and out, and repainted it. Works good and last a long time.

Latest posts