Vetter Shield Availibility and Custom Cutting

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm thanks brian and gerry ... i think i will go high ...LOL ...as i like not having to go down so much to look ... and it keeps me from looking to far from strait ahead ... i need to make a strip cover of some kind as i dont like the look of the rubber behind the shield ...... thanks guys

okay mirrors on ...some pics
image.php

seems it hard to get the bars out of view but i like the higher position

image.php

wasnt someone asking me if i use duct tape along with coat hangers ...well yes till i can afford a tube of black chalk for the light ... :smilie_happy: :hihihi: now the angry dresser has no mirrors ... its the part house merry go round at the doghouse .... hmmm now for the shield cutting ...i dont think the tree cutting blade in my jig saw is going to work in cutting the shield so lets see ... need bolts jyd single carb setup ...jig saw blade... tube of black chalk oh and some of that shield cleaner stuff ive tried a lot to clear the dang shield enough but i am loosing this bttle big time....hmmm gee i could have jyd going by now waiting to buy 10 dollars worth of bolts and clamps lol ...when your retirement check is splitting wood you tend not to complain about not collecting it :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :rant: :hihihi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122878#p122878:139vt3nt said:
brianinpa » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:41 am[/url]":139vt3nt]
No Joe a chainsaw will not work... :shock: :smilie_happy:

Maybe with the fine chain :smilie_happy:

I just managed to buy black duct tape Joe. I used a turtle wax cut and polish which restored the Rats Nest screen beautifully. You want the white one in a tub not the red cutting compound and found Walmart to be the cheapest for Turtle Wax.

I see goldwing mirrors offered by EMGO. Seem to look pretty good but are they junk? I know they don't have a real good reputation. Anybody third these yet?

I'm not sure which one they have, but make sure they make things appear smaller. You get a better view that way. I think Gerry said one of his first set wasn't and it was hard to see everything.

It is hard to find after market replacement mirrors with the closer then you think curves... the emboss I have for my 11 do Sen to move and not stay put.. have similar issue with my 12.. but I know how to fix that one... take it apart and remove the rubber base cover.. reassemble abd then set it.. drop abs cement on the joint 24 hours later.. disassemble and reassemble with rubber boot.. no dripping.. now these are emgo mirrors for the 12 fairing..

The only mirrors that I know for sure have the curved glass are OEM. One of my mirrors was aftermarket and it had flat glass which is absolutely useless on a motorcycle!

pic

image.php

ok ... well ididnt do anything like the thread btian posted ... didnt tape anything ....just barely mark as in right just scribed it with a tape and knife ... kind of like drywall is cut ...use the jig saw with aggressive wood cutting teeth as it all i had ... and basically free hand the sides .... and now just trueing it up ....ive cut a lot of plastic type stuff ... once you get it hot and it is melting like when cutting it is not going to break ... you just have to move along not over melt it by moving to slow and not go so fast as to getting into cold stuff that might crack ... and its is not good to stop at all ...cause it will harden on shield and on blade .. and start up after that is chancy break city .....

i wasnt try to do a looks thing here ... really just taking off enough than i dont hurt my neck trying to look over the unclear thing ... and i am fixing to to ride soon to see how i like it ..... :thanks:

Nice one Joe. Sometimes taping protects from scratching the surface with the Jig saw. I often tape the base of the Jig saw to provent scratching of the cut surface. On the coarse tooth blade I have some mates who didn't have Oxy to cut expanded steel mesh with and used a scrolling Jig saw with coarse tooth blades and cutting compound. They also cut 1/2 thick steel as a bell housing adapter plate for an engine conversion using the Jig saw, cutting compound and a few blades. I would never of believed it possible until I had seen it done myself.

hmmm ... dan its seems to be 3 1/4" off the top ... i just measure the piece...

well tony i couldnt find any tape and didnt look long ... as i am quite skilled with tools ... most people force tools down ... i can glide with extreme skill really .. so i did

not trying to boost ...just posting what i did ... i domt think the average can do what i did but it is possible :thanks:

I was also impressed with your freehand cutting effort :good:
Hand eye co ordination is obviously a strong point of yours Joe :yes: :good: :good:
Foot mouth coordination is your only weak point that I can see IMHO :smilie_happy: