Vetter Top Box lights and mount repairs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
The earth on the left light has been playing up since I first took possession of the Rats Nest and has meant many solder repairs to the earth wires on the bulb holders. Even with low current LED replacement bulbs they don't work when the earth wire drops off.
Isolation mounts were cracking from age and fatigue and needed replacing as I continue to overload the top box.

Been there done that! I got so good at repairing it that I finally put all the wires inside some flex tube so that I didn't keep stress testing it.

corrugated-pvc-cable-protection-electrical-conduits-19661-2950007.jpg

Hmmm, your bulb sockets look different than any I've seen before. Mine are earthed at one of the rivets that hold the socket to the box.

Attachments

• vetter trunk ground.jpg
    vetter trunk ground.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 142
I think I spent more time trying to properly fix that wiring than I did on everything else on Rat's Nest! Lots of solder and cursing went into it, but it still didn't hold up. Sorry you're still having issues with it, Tony... :sensored: :sensored:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114974#p114974:2fsl0raa said:
Steve83 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:26 am[/url]":2fsl0raa]
Lots of solder and cursing went into it, :sensored: :sensored:

sdɐɥɹǝd noʎ pןnoɥs ǝʌɐɥ uǝǝq buısn uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ssnɔ spɹǝʍ.... :hihihi: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114981#p114981:2qqjs64c said:
AApple » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:07 am[/url]":2qqjs64c]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114974#p114974:2qqjs64c said:
Steve83 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:26 am[/url]":2qqjs64c]
Lots of solder and cursing went into it, :sensored: :sensored:

sdɐɥɹǝd noʎ pןnoɥs ǝʌɐɥ uǝǝq buısn uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ssnɔ spɹǝʍ.... :hihihi: :smilie_happy:

Bloody hell, Crikey that's not a knife.... :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114992#p114992:36wiwcsu said:
rock42 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:16 am[/url]":36wiwcsu]
for me i tried to put in led bulbs and they would not light up. i put some heavy carpet inside mine and it seems to help protect the wiring

Either the bulbs are not correct or someone put an earth in the wrong place....LEDs need the correct polarity where incandescent bulbs don't...

Lights are all working now again...
Used tinned data cable(twisted pair) to each light and then joined to a common point on the old wiring
Marine carpet in the side pannier
Marine carpet in the top box to protect the wiring and box
The Costco pizza box that had been doing that duty, sort of. Can't complain it has lasted since August, the pizza only about 20 mins..
The mess created from making foam seals for around the lights out of foam tape and repairing the wiring
The main reason for new mounts and wiring repairs, maybe next time I will paint the top box rack and polish or replace all the mounting hardware... :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115004#p115004:2ilr6g6a said:
slabghost » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:18 am[/url]":2ilr6g6a]
You know a 30 pack of beer will fit in that box if you take out the battery.

If you have a look at my avatar that is a 30 pack of XXXX bitter on the pillion seat of the Pig...

Your repairs were great Steve. I just kept loosing the left one as the wire itself was all oxidised and no amount of solder would fix that. Also I wanted the lights out so that I could make the foam seals and keep some dust out. Hopefully this will last for another 33years. I still need to cleanup the rear brake light and the Windjammer. I want to run a good battery feed into the fairing plug and clean up the headlight / main wiring to the fairing plug. Still need to install new battery feed HID, iPhone charger and USB stereo and speakers.

Are replacement sockets available in Oz? I know they make them.. not sure about the ones in the Vetter... maybe pull guts from God sockets and replace in the Vetter? .. just thinking here..

With all the mods now no reason to change the sockets as they are in great condition and don't need much of a circuit to run LEDs :good:

The lock spring on the right hand pannier broke requiring me to drill out the rivets so that I could remove the pannier to make my rear tire replacement possible. I was trying to find some stainless wire that I could make my own spring out of. I haven't had any luck yet but I did scour my local Bunnings ( a copy of Home Depot but red instead of orange) looking for wire or anything I could use. I found these plasterboard crack repair kits that had a tool that I could cannibalise to make my replacement Vetter spring clip.
Back of the packet showing using the tool and the broken Vetter spring

Latest posts