wanna run elecronic iginition off the left head for an 82a

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82a

Reaction score
like it's done on the 1000 line

what all parts do i need?

1000 cyl head(s)?

maybe slip 1000 cams in my 1100 heads? then maybe bolt on the points assy"

after reading joeD stuff, also wanna setup to go with a 1000 engine, down the road
as i understood, that would bring the revs down ~ 500 rpms

need ignition cup and advance mechanism. Along with 1000 cams. Not certain if it will bolt on an 1100 head without modification. With all that in place you can run points or dyna or another ignition. Whatever you chose will need coils and or resistor matched.

hi 82a ...im assuming you have 82 1100 ....thats a well geared bike .......right off the bat if your bike is running well now as in ignition ...head gaskits good ...id just chamge to early cams first and leave stock ignition as it is now ....switching the cam out is not that hard ....when i did it the first time two days i had it done ....it was an 82 also ...even withe the smaller 1100 carbs it was fast ...real fast ...with the extra power you get you might like the gearing right where its at ...if the ignition fails or you want to go full 1000 setup it can be done on 1100 heads without taking them off ...there also the mod of going with early carbs on the 1100 also thats what i have on the 83 its just plain nice and fast ...but frame and shocks and handleing in general is crap on mine so i just play in bottom gears ...its diffenitly the wake up program for 1100s

from what i've read so far 75-6 has the good stuff, then it started to get watered down,

didn't know about the 82 carbs being small

what about the 82 vac advance with the earlier parts?

found a 75 left side cyl head so far

Don't need to replace the head. 75-77 cams are what you want. You can use the stock 1100 ignition. If you go with early carbs too you'll need to add a vacuum port. Right rear carb has a boss for one just needs drilled and tube pressed in.

go for cams in the head only ...yrs 75-77 are good to get ....most heads are striped of the ignition stuff...to go full 1000 on ignition you need the points housing and mechanical advancer ...points plate also if you can not nanditory if you want to dyna electonic ignition....1100 carbs and ignition do fine with earl cams realy ...but there is a boost when early 1000carbs are added yrs 75-77 all do well

basics i'm after now is if the original ignition acts up on a trip, or at any time, just being able to plug in the secondary, or alternative

PGs at the back of the engine is :shock: :beg: :headscratch: :Doh2:

yes it can be setup to have both ignitons availible ......on my 83 the motor was good ...i installed 75 cams....stayed with the 1100 ignition i had alreadt on the bike ....ran well like this...the ignition stem on the cam will stick out the side of the head ....i eventualy got an ignition housing from a 1000 head and instaled it on the 1100 head.....i could have a dyna install in the ignition housing now and be setup any time to switch over to the dyna or regular points if i wanted....the ignitions are totaly flexable ...i did mod the 1100 ignition to be adjustable.....later on i also switch to 77 carbs on the 83 ...they provide more flow than 1100 carbs ...i have found that the 1100 motor is quite the monster with the upgrades were talking the 83 seems to love the cams and feed of the 1000 early bikes ....the angry dresser is quite the bike ...everything is quite adaptable and a great mod in my book

not sure what you mean by "i did mod the 1100 ignition to be adjustable"

can the dyna run the stock 82 coil ignition system? or need to set that up separate

the 1000 ignition housing bolts right up to the 1100 head? or drill and tap deal,
sounds like the 1100 timing pulleys can also be used with the earlier cam

dunno what the story is with available cams out there but read about megacyclecams

good news :clapping:

i just read the other thread and you talk about "fit the ignition unit in its entirety from the 1000 engine , which bolts on the end of the head where the 1100 has a chrome cover"

so the coils and everything else is from the 83 that you started with? just a mater of wiring into it?

yes - no need to modify apart from check the ignition because the 1975 cams need a different advance compared to the standard 1100 cams. I use a 1983 GL1100AD and everything works just dandy . I did the work just over two months ago and so far 600 miles mainly commuting with no trouble.

joedrum post #8 was helpful with some advice he gave me - I extend my hand in friendship to that man , he knows what he is talking about. :hi:

i'm prob gonna go dyna with this, do i need the original points plate?

are the 1000 mechanical advance units all the same? or is there a best one

there not the same ...the early yr bikes from 75-77 use the 371 advace unit the 78-79 use the 434 advancer ...witch i think has more advance in it ...as to witch one is best ...im not sure ...purest will tell you to keep advancer and cam together :smilie_happy: were far from purest here...personaly ive never tested the two to know witch one works best with 371 early cam in a 1100

either advancer will fit the cam and i wouldnt hesitate one bit about getting a 434advancer...theres not that much difference and could be moded also

you need no points plate ...the electronic ignitions have there own...

i wouldnt threat over the 1000 ignition right away ...the cams can be changed and it be running without 1000 ignition and then just come by it as you can ...

all you need is one open end cam seal ...or cut out the end cap seal of the 1100 so ignition stem will go through

Latest posts