Water pump seal problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfred

Reaction score
Guys, I'm pulling my hair out and I can't afford to do that if you know what I mean. I replaced my water pump at 50,000 as the seal was leaking just a bit through the weep hole, so changed the pump and the seal. Had it back together, ran fine, but I noticed oil leaking (dripping) through the pump housing weep hole. So being the good little GW rider I am, pulled it back apart, checked all the seals and O rings, put it back together, and sure enough it's leaking antifreeze. Pulled it apart again, this time ordered OEM water pump O ring thinking I wasn't getting a complete seal. Put it all back together and same thing.

Other than the pump O ring, I can't see why else I'd be getting coolant out the weep hole. Help!

Coolant leaking from the weep hole can only come from a couple of places....the large o-ring, or the front seal of the water pump. Are you sure the o-ring you used is correct? When I did mine, the seal in the kit was NOT....and it leaked. I had to get a thicker o-ring. You also have to be very careful installing the pump into the front cover, since that o-ring can get damaged very easily.

Thanks for the quick reply. I bought the pump and gasket kit from Saber Cycle. I thought I might have ruined the large O ring so purchased an OEM ring. You're right about the tight fit, however tonight, I used straight coolant to lube the O ring up and it slipped into place much easier, didn't have to you the three bolt to pull into place. I wonder if the smaller O ring on the pump might not be perfect. I'll track that down and replace it tomorrow. Thanks again for the quick replay, I appreciate it.

Bill

The small o-ring is an oil seal. The inside of the front cover where the pump goes also needs to be very smooth for a good seal. I hope the latest install works for ya!

Yep...the smaller o-ring at the rear of the pump keeps the oil from leaking into the weep hole area, but would not allow a coolant leak at all. Either the front o-ring is leaking, or the seal on the pump impeller is. Good luck! Hope this time is works! :beg: :mrgreen:

Nope...I don't think so....but oil can seep past those, and come out the weepy hole, but it would also have to get past the smaller o-ring on the rear of the pump. There should be no coolant past the front, ceramic type seal just behind the impeller, on the wp itself. Any coolant that leaks past that seal will go right out the weepy hole. :yes:

Water pump info:

Areas of Pump.jpg

Failure Diagnosis Page 1.jpg

Failure Diagnosis Page 2.jpg

Latest posts