Well it was running good

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldwinggirl

Reaction score
So Life had been pretty good for a while. Then the last week the bike would start with an intermittent miss like it did back in march / april. I had solved that problem with replacing the spark plugs with my old spare set. The bike ran fine after the plugs were changed, I've been riding it for months almost daily with no problems, well no major problems. Last week it started in again with in intermittent miss just now and then. Yesterday was worst.

Today, on the way home on a 20 mile ride it sounded like it was missing on two cylinders all the time. Plus it died about the time I pulled into the parking space. I'm thinking its new spark plug time or maybe a vacuum leak. Other then a old dyna ignition (original coils) that came with the bike, the bike is original. Temperature was mid scale on the white, with air temp 86-88.. It had a new tank of fuel today too.

I also have an issue with the idle speeding up and slowing down sometimes. Like there is a temperature range after its warmed up, where it runs faster at idle, say 2200-2500 rpm but then 10-15 minutes later it idles fine. Maybe the advance??? I've not messed with the advance in, well a long time. It's been doing that off and on too. I know I need to have the carbs sync'ed also

Thoughts????

could be junk gas or maybe air leak somewhere on the carb rack. Look at the plugs. If they are fouled with soot you might need to adjust your fuel mixture screws.

I would put new plugs in first.
If it then runs good there has to be a reason the plugs are fouling.
If you make a lot short trips with little time to let it get warmed up that could explain it.
Possibly idle mixture causing it to run richer, I suppose if they were turned way out.
Could also be a weak spark or other carb problems.

When you pull the plugs make sure to keep them matched to the cylinder they came out of to help source the problem then post back what you found.

well the plugs all looked good, light tan ish. Checked the gap and made sure all were .025. Think I found the issue, one of the spark plug wires was loose on the cap. The copper core looked good, so removed and re-tightened all 4 spark plug wires to the caps. Its back idling and having normal throttle response. I'll ride it latter on just to make sure.

It's always the silly stuff that gets us.... :blush:
Good news.... :eek:k:

Latest posts