What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124490#p124490:31j46pvg said:
brianinpa » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:01 am[/url]":31j46pvg]
318 turns in 11 miles.

The tail of the dragon is nice but there are other roads in this area that have better scenery.

You sure it wasn't 319? :smilie_happy: :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124506#p124506:258iu5do said:
Ansimp » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:11 pm[/url]":258iu5do]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124490#p124490:258iu5do said:
brianinpa » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:01 am[/url]":258iu5do]
318 turns in 11 miles.

The tail of the dragon is nice but there are other roads in this area that have better scenery.

You sure it wasn't 319? :smilie_happy: :good:

The shirt reads 318... I am not about to count them. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124651#p124651:bhg67bpg said:
OldWrench » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 am[/url]":bhg67bpg]
Sanding, and prepping plastic, not fun son, but must be done.
But oh so worth it when it sparkles in the sun!

Finished installing the new manifold and carb. Located fuel inlet and finished the job by strraightening out the shop.

I ordered the new timing belts from Saber Cycle.

I am getting all the parts and extras laid out so I can get those posted here, and I will be setting up some shipments for people. Sorry guys, I had to get that carb and mani work done.

Spent some time at Vegaswingnut's installing some star washers between the trunk rack and lid, they are supposed to reduce the risk of cracking where the rack mounts to the trunk lid.

After that we discussed future maintenance/repairs for Crystal in the near future. She has a leaking shifter seal that needs attention, that involves removing part of the frame as neither of us believe in laying the bike on her side to "make things easier." George told me about a thread he started on this subject at NAGF that was very popular, so I'm going to check that out.

We also talked about replacing the steering head bearings. I have a touch of up and down play when the front wheel is off the ground but she doesn't have that "flat spot" very worn bearings have when you rotate the the handle bars from side to side indicative of too many straight line miles. I didn't notice any side to side play.

Lastly we talked about replacing my front speakers and all accessible dash and fairing lights at the same time, switching what I can for LED. I mean one only wants to do "that" once :p The thing about the speakers is a personal hang up of mine. The left is blown, and even though I use the headset to listen to music I just have to have everything working. Oh yeah, one of the lights in my LCD display is out and I'm not sure if I can replace just that, I bet it calls for a whole new dash unit. :roll:

~O~

Installed the timing belts, mounted the newly painted covers.

Assembled the radiator unit by putting my fan and shrouds on the new core. The trim got new paint too, had a rust spot, so I had to take care of it yesterday.

Mounted the radiator, and prepped the coolant and oil change. Did more cleanup as I am getting rid of 30 years or so of dust and bad cleaning.

Trying my best to exercise patience. I need to get the coolant added, and the oil dropped...again....then I will verify timing settings, and prime the coolant as best I can with the starter and cranking it over, this will prime the fuel too. Have to verify wiring, do a once over on the proir work, and check tire pressures etc....

Tonight, I am going to scrub the shroud.

Tomorrow is the test fire if I can defeat the "honey do" list. Perhaps I should "do honey", and the list will shrink....yea I know its a calculating thing to do, but goord lord she got off 20 days vacation, and 3 days later, a weekend off....

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125224#p125224:10exb4t7 said:
krakum1967 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:34 pm[/url]":10exb4t7]
Installed the timing belts, mounted the newly painted covers.

Assembled the radiator unit by putting my fan and shrouds on the new core. The trim got new paint too, had a rust spot, so I had to take care of it yesterday.

Mounted the radiator, and prepped the coolant and oil change. Did more cleanup as I am getting rid of 30 years or so of dust and bad cleaning.

Trying my best to exercise patience. I need to get the coolant added, and the oil dropped...again....then I will verify timing settings, and prime the coolant as best I can with the starter and cranking it over, this will prime the fuel too. Have to verify wiring, do a once over on the proir work, and check tire pressures etc....

Tonight, I am going to scrub the shroud.

Tomorrow is the test fire if I can defeat the "honey do" list. Perhaps I should "do honey", and the list will shrink....yea I know its a calculating thing to do, but goord lord she got off 20 days vacation, and 3 days later, a weekend off....
I hope you meant to say "prime the oil"... :yes:

Yep, part of the "etc.." stuff...lol...yea I took care of the oil change, and its ready to go after adding fuel.

Well I have to put the shell bolts in, but thats it on that.

Ordered the water pump rebuild kit that Mike used and the front cover gasket set for the 86a even though I wasn't going to spend any more money on it until it is running. I figured by the time it arrives I would be cursing if I hadn't already ordered it and had to wait further for it. I started cleanup of the heads and picked up the other timing belt while collecting parts for a customers car last week. Hopefully this week will see some reassembly or some carburettor work :mischief:

Finished topping off the fluids, and added gas.

Bolted on the shell, and gauges tightened it down

Primed the carb, and she started on the second kick, it sputtered on the first. But its running, I am finishing up the day dialing it in.

What a reliefe!!!

Finished a 2,415.6 mile ride through the Southern States of North/South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Virginia. What a trip! In case one needs an endorsement to do it, I HIGHLY recommend that if you get the chance, you ride the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiners 28, Georgia's Six Gaps, and the Skyline Drive. Oh yeah, and should you have the chance, don't pass up the Tail of the Dragon... :music:

Low Res.JPG

The entire trip I only had one problem... my cramp buster broke. :shock:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125322#p125322:2nfnbhjj said:
krakum1967 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:04 pm[/url]":2nfnbhjj]
Finished topping off the fluids, and added gas.

Bolted on the shell, and gauges tightened it down

Primed the carb, and she started on the second kick, it sputtered on the first. But its running, I am finishing up the day dialing it in.

What a reliefe!!!
Excellent! She lives!! :clapping: :salute:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125360#p125360:2mrrgenb said:
Steve83 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:56 pm[/url]":2mrrgenb]
Very nice ride, Brian! How'd the Wing perform?

Perfect! Climbing hills with that C5 is amazing!!!!! With the addition of the other ignition curves I could climb hills on the Blue Ridge Parkway in 5th gear and be going as slow at 35 mph and the bike would still accelerate up the hill. My weight plus all this crap, I didn't think it was possible but it just climbing and climbing... I told Paul he turned my bike into a Mountain Goat. :mrgreen:

IMG_20140711_115621.jpg

The rider was by far the weakest link, as I am beat beyond tired.