What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna put new rear brakes on her Mon. evening hopfully, she's headed for the local shop for inspection & fork seals on Thurs. :music2: :music2: :music2:

Last Saturday I put on a new Front Tire and yesterday I put on a new Rear Tire and changed the Final drive Oil. I went with the Shinko Tour Masters and Dyna Beads, I have about 100 miles and so far so good.

man all i can say is toss the the termostat william when you put it back together the oldwing cooling system is just to marginal today id say the weak and cappy gas is one of the reasons they stuggle today along with aged system also ...darn william sorry to hear this

recap,
when we parked the bike last year it had a blown head gasket. and with all the things life can throw at me I'm just getting to fixing it.

yesterday got the old bike into the garage and removed the left head, cleaned the gasket off and found the valves were just letting air blow right by, even though they were adjusted properly and seemed to be seated well, they leaked terribly. we checked them with soapy water and an air hose just blowing air into the ports caused many bubbles.
so we stripped the valves out and lapped them in.. now we have no bubbles.
(just a note: local autozone had no idea there was such thing as valve grind compound)
today got the right side dismantled and cleaned and lapped, also no bubbles now..
since it is hitting the 90 degree mark today I figured a siesta was in order till later when it cools off a bit.
then back to assembly.

I cant believe the crud on the seats and pits in the face of those valves... she should run very well again.
next new part will be a back tire, hopefully in a few days. and a battery!
the batteries plus 1 year AGM lasted 1 year. and is pretty much totally dead.

may have to run a regular acid battery for a few weeks till I can buy another AGM but all is fine if I can ride.

have a great day...
I'll update progress soon...

:builder: went and set the jet screwsat 2 and too k her for a spin ,ran a little better buti'm still not comfortable on her. :crying: but i met some great poeple and can help someone else on thier gw if it"s not to tech. :thanks: all

went looking for a pilot adjusting tool. carbs get too hit to do by hand. No luck localy. May haqve to order on the first when I have some bucks. That will hold me up for a while. But maby I will have it running by Church camp the week of the 9th. :lazy: :lazy: :whistling: :ahem:

dan filipi":3bj8bvdu said:
detdrbuzzard":3bj8bvdu said:
blew the right head gasket on the 1200 wing
Tell us the story :beg:
no story to tell dan. i blead the brakes again and was going to take a test ride but when i started it up steam was comming from the right head. hope i have all the bugs worked out before next month

jdegase":bvwr9ehb said:
recap,
when we parked the bike last year it had a blown head gasket. and with all the things life can throw at me I'm just getting to fixing it.

yesterday got the old bike into the garage and removed the left head, cleaned the gasket off and found the valves were just letting air blow right by, even though they were adjusted properly and seemed to be seated well, they leaked terribly. we checked them with soapy water and an air hose just blowing air into the ports caused many bubbles.
so we stripped the valves out and lapped them in.. now we have no bubbles.
(just a note: local autozone had no idea there was such thing as valve grind compound)
today got the right side dismantled and cleaned and lapped, also no bubbles now..
since it is hitting the 90 degree mark today I figured a siesta was in order till later when it cools off a bit.
then back to assembly.

I cant believe the crud on the seats and pits in the face of those valves... she should run very well again.
next new part will be a back tire, hopefully in a few days. and a battery!
the batteries plus 1 year AGM lasted 1 year. and is pretty much totally dead.

may have to run a regular acid battery for a few weeks till I can buy another AGM but all is fine if I can ride.

have a great day...
I'll update progress soon...
https://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-PC680-PC6 ... 80+battery

Thnks buzzard,
dropped the link on my desktop. will probly buy one in a few weeks but mean time gonna get some miles on the old girl...
the 60$ wet cell battery will do for a couple weeks till I get my next check.

still house hunting, and getting her going again will help the gas money situation greatly!
to detdrbuzzard,
neighbor we gotta hook-up bro. Ever been up to the tonys in birchrun? they put a pound of bacon on everything!!!!

hope to cya soon.. off to get a 6.5x1.5 oring for the oiler ports in the heads :D
not shipped with the new head gaskets :(

Dan, I used spray (permatex)copper coat on the gaskets this time... 2 coats, both sides! we'll see if I get more than a couple years outta them .....

used a very nice clicker torque wrench... I know they are as close to perfect as I can get them this time.
also cleaned the head surfaces much better this time... spent a few hours with razor blade clamped in a pair of needle nosed vice-grips and checked for true flat... also fixing the valves .. I cant hardly wait to fire her up again..

toytender01":2567dffu said:
went looking for a pilot adjusting tool. carbs get too hit to do by hand. No luck localy. May haqve to order on the first when I have some bucks. That will hold me up for a while. But maby I will have it running by Church camp the week of the 9th. :lazy: :lazy: :whistling: :ahem:

still looking for a tool?
at one time we had a kinda tool loaner program going on here... I have the long reach right angle adjuster tool and a set of gauges...
dont know how long or how much to get them too you.. but if your intrested in them I'll see what I can do????
just let me know.

Thanks jdegase appriciate the offer very much. I just had a friend who is a mechanic drop off his tool this evening, so am now all set for that operation, maybe tonight. Spent today at the Cold descovery site at Sutters Mill in Coloma with the other Seniors from the church. Had a great day. Today was National Slowness Day, and I drove the shortest State Highway in California (Approx 1 mile) to Marshaells Monument over looking the Gold descovery site.

Same thing I've been doing the last 3 weeks. Ride to work in the morning and ride home. When it's nice I take the long way home.

well last night was a set back.
got the heads on both timed and valve lashed.
so I figured a would give her a quick check to see if she would run.
so before dumping the antifreeze in I put the battery on and gave her a quick fire up and shut down....
took a few cranks to get the gas into the carbs and get all 4 firing but she sounded good..
maybe a exhaust leak I figured ... so I proceeded to put the coolant in and before I got about half the bottle in I had antifreeze running everywhere... running out of both sides like rain..
I thought maybe I had buggered the orings in the crosstubes but there was way too much coolant running out and I couldn't see anything coming from those on either side.
seemed to be coming right out of the head gasket..
so pulled drain plug and drained the coolant. what was left.
removed everything and pulled the head back off..
removing the head bolts I noticed alot of difference in tightness... but I had checked those more than 4x with a clicker torque wrench..
found that not much of the copper spray was disturbed only one corner.. so I'm thinking what the heck....
eventually I noticed the top front guide pin is messed up, and there are thread makes inside it from the head bolt..
the gasket showed only copper missing by the back guide pin so I'm thinking somehow that guide kept the head from seating evenly.
a friend was helping and he suggested working over the guide pin to see if we could make it round again. discouraged I headed home for some sleep and a fresh perspective on the whole project. hopefully we'll get her figured out. working on that today.

gee jim ...slow down ...do it like the whole family depends on it ....now your faced with reusing head gaskit and tons of goo or new gaskits ouch ....good luck jim and slow down :mrgreen:

I would order new dowels since once they're chewed up or bent in the slightest they might not go into the head completely.
I've tried.
A trick to get them out is put a head bolt through it to keep the dowel from crushing then you can grab it with a plier or vise grip and twist and pull. Go easy, they are soft and might snap off. If they do then you will need to dig out the rest with a screwdriver or small chisel.

once i get the 1200 back i'll have to do a shake down run jim, i'll send a pm ( or you send me a pm ) and get your address. i rode the 1500 wing to work today. i will probally take an evening ride i'm just not sure wher i'll be going

Latest posts