What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed the brake light on after parking and found that the foot pedal wasn't returning all the way, not enough to cause brake drag just enough to keep the brake switch on. I pulled the pedal off and found heavy rust in the bore and pivot pin. after a good emery cloth cleaning and a little grease she was nice and free. :music: Now the surprise...I have twice the rear brake I had before, apparently it was binding enough to keep me from getting full pressure to the brake! :yahoo:

I also tied the front brake lever down for the night and got rid of that last little bit of air. I have no idea how that works but it does. You can't beat good brakes.

Well I tried. No go, that tool I borrowed won't work either. Not short enough to get under the pilot screw, so i am screwed. Am unable to adjust per procedured in book after replacing pilot screws. Have to find or build some thing that will work. :sensored: :sensored: :sensored:

toytender01":a2oy6axk said:
Well I tried. No go, that tool I borrowed won't work either. Not short enough to get under the pilot screw, so i am screwed. Am unable to adjust per procedured in book after replacing pilot screws. Have to find or build some thing that will work. :sensored: :sensored: :sensored:

bought mine from ebay, it works well for me...
when you pull the handle out the tip slides down just enough to get it under the pilot screw, then I hold the outside part while turning the handle it works very well
toy I'll put it in a usps bag and send it... just say the word bro.
not trying to get rid of it, but it sure makes the difference when you need it..
I'll send to you, you just find a way to send it back when done.
I gave around 25$ for it so not really expensive..

Attachments

• screw2.JPG
    screw2.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 117
went and tryed to pull a vacum on the rear brake s to blead but it didn't help. put some slime in the front tire she's got a leak around the rim so i rode her up to town and put some gas in and spin the slime. got there and had to jump her off to start back. still have to check the staterdon't know if she's charging or not got her home and put a trickle charger on her.coverd her up and called it a day for her. 40 miles now.

jd thanks for the very genoruse offer. I found the one you have on ebay and placed a bid, if I am lucky I will have one of my own, as after I sell this 80 I will be needing it to do the carbs on the 82 that is in the wing wating. If I run into trouble I will remember your offer.

after much head scratching and wandering around the garage, me and my bud went for a cheeseburger... ands I got to thinking... "man I know I had a problem like this 3yrs ago when I put the original head gaskets in..... heads wouldnt seat.. water run out around the gaskets...
so once we got back to the messy garage... we pulled the right head, and sure enough.. the locator pin showed a spot where it comes up against the block and draws down then stops.... like a dam ....
the previous owner or someone before me had removed the pins with some sharp channel locks and tore them up!
also I noticed on both sides, one pin stayed in block and one in the head...

ok so we pushed the pin over the correct size drill bit shank spun the whole thing in a drill and sanded the outside with emery clothe.
then wrapped the emery clothe tightly around the pin and pinched the clothe in a vise.. so the whole thing was like a band clap... then run the drill bit flutes inside the pin.... this cleaned the inside very well and the outside was smooth again...
lightly sand the ends for and burrs, and check length in calipers..
now I have 2 shiney pins (the head bolts drop threw smoothly) pressed into the block on the top holes, on both heads.

AND

no leaks!

cleaned everything up, torqued the heads, set the valve lash...
BTW I use a .004 and a .006 on all the valves.. in a go, no-go fashion ... .004 goes, .006 doesn't.
last night without exhaust or timing covers we fired her up.. and even after all that she jumped right to attention.
the new valve job sounds totally awesome.. and she runs so much better, loads more throttle response.
I had 1 carb that wasn't responding well.. the one with the most water in the head.. back right hole, 3 I think.
will stamp them with numbers when I get out there today.
so we worked the carbs over, and taking my gauges and other tools this morning... including my helmet.
:good:
gonna be strange waving to people without helmets... when I'm wearing mine...

guys I am truly sorry I didn't get some pictures of all this stuff...
its really messy in the garage slimy with oil and water ... my wife could have been there taking pics but she works most the time. her camera is her baby, she does alot of nice pictures with it..
I'll post a few of my daughter with her sash for you.
I will promise some new pics of the bike once its done.. I have a few new items and she will surely need a through clean and polish.

Had a new rear tire put on, I pulled the wheel and took it to my local bike shop where he mounted the new tire for free. I went with a new tire he suggested, a Michelin Commander that's supposed to have two different rubber compounds. A harder compound down the center for mileage and softer on the sides for cornering traction. Supposed to get double the mileage of some other tires. We'll see, lol. Then i pulled a dummy and didn't get one of my side bags latched good and lost a cover on the highway where it promptly got ran over by a 18 wheeler :rant: Managed to find another one for 5 bucks that has a big crack in it I have to fix..... live and learn i guess

yesturday
couldnt find the gauges, must have gotten packed away.
finished putting the bike back together and rode her home!
dirty and all wife had to ride to a nearby town and run some errands.
took a little bit but feels great to be back in the saddle finally.
she runs good... better when I get her all balanced and the last few odds and ends finished.
wash and polish for today I hope.

well i walked by my wing today. wasn't feeling good and didn't go to work, went and cut grass for mom then came home had lunch then took a nap. went out cut my front yard and trimmed some bushes in the back yard, cleaned up as much as i could before heyfever caught up with me and i still have the headach i had from yesterday

I gave it a rest today and took the scooter out (first time) and WOW you gotta see this thing haul ass!!

Fourth gear just under 4k rpm and about 80k (50mph) crack the throttle and I swear if I did not have both hands firmly gripped this "Widow Maker" would have carried on without me !!! My buddy (who also rides a Sabre) and i passed a couple of cars and I noticed it jumped up to 120k in no time. Very easy to see why so many people have been hurt on these bikes they are AWSOME FAST and this grandfather of four already has 4 tickets (think I will stick mainly with the wing for a while).

Attachments

• 100_0186.jpg
    100_0186.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 153
well got word that miss daisy had her carbs cleaned and synced.but had to readajust the valves, and check compression.and it wasn't good. said she was going to need a compleat rebuild. and the yamaha.has 49lbs on two cyclinders also. so going to checkthe cb 750 hope it has better luck

Well, I put on a new tire(front) last Wed. Will change oil and plugs and front bearings this week. That would be front tire bearings. That is of course if I can make me a removal tool. I have to check with my neighbor to see if he has a 1/2" x 6" bolt that I can have.

Tried syncing carbs yesterday after getting new 90 degree carb adjusting tool. just not adjusting right soooo out they come again. I am getting good at removing them :whistling: . will have to find out what i did wrong, AGAIN!!!!!! :head bang: :head bang: :heat: :heat:

Rode her some more should give her a bath (got caught in a rain storm) but as the commercial says I JUST WANNA RIDE :moped: :moped: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hi:

After recovering from a migraine, I got out there in 98* heat and changed the oil, plugs and added air to tires. Hope to change bearings on front tire in a couple of days and install driving lights. It is a bit warm in S. Ga.

Latest posts