What to check when not charging

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy45

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, hope you all are doing great.
If battery not staying charged and assuming the battery is ok what should be the things to check before diagnosing a bad stator?

1 Eliminate connector from stator to wiring harness?
2 regulator?
3 start relay?

Thanks
Ben

With bike running check voltage at your battery terminals. It should read around 14 volts with rpm at 2000. If it is below 12 volts proceed with the stator checks. Good luck. There is some good examples on you tube.

I am not a fan of eliminating the stator connector; I replace it with a new one and fill it with dielectric grease. Those connectors fail (and fry the wiring) because they get water/moisture in them and the connection corrodes causing resistance and heat. I replace them because you never know if you will pull the engine. It is a lot easier with connectors than soldered wires.

image.php

That connection is commonly bad on 1100's. But also pull the connection at the regulator/rectifier. The terminals on that connection get dirty and often cause no charging.

Naturally, check that the battery is actually good! A battery with a bad cell will not charge. (oh, and of course if it is a lead acid battery, make sure you didn't cook the water out of it.)

You probably know this but just want to share what I found on goldwingdocs forum about the charging system:

The charging system is comprised of only 2 major components and a bit of wiring.
I'll try to describe the proper test procedures that work for me.

THE STATOR.....Its a coil of wire...spin a magnet past it and it will produce electric....

See Pic1

Testing the stator is done with the 3 yellow wires cut loose from the bike.
The stator is 3 separate windings thus the 3 yellow wires.
Each winding has a common connection to the other 2 BUT NOT GROUND.The windings are measured between any pair of the yellow wires and will read like a dead short.It's usually 3 to 4 ohms.
There should be NO RESISTANCE from any yellow wire to the engine or ground.

Next it to check the voltage it will produce.
With lo load on the stator,voltages can get very high,more than you would expect for a 12 volt system.

See Pic 2

At a idle..eg.1000 rpm...The average stator will produce around 30 volts AC between any 2 of the yellow wires and can reach above 70 volts AC at 3500 rpm so keep your fingers off the wires when you measure this.
Again,there is NO measurement to ground.

The rectifier/regulator.
It's got a bunch of wires on it but is simple in function.It converts the AC delivered by the stator to 14.8 volts DC and can provide about 25 amps of current.
Rather than getting into the innards,it's easier to measure what it's doing.

See Pic 3

It is normal for the voltages to vary.
At a idle,many bikes actually will discharge the battery and the Volts can fall below 12 volts but as soon as the rpm's go up,the volts should also climb.
Common volts measured across the battery terminals can be....
12.8 with the key off
12.2 with the key on
10.9 cranking the engine.
12 volts at a low idle
12-14.8 as the rpm and time increase.

If you read with a amp meter....
At 3000 rpm...each yellow wire produce around 8 amps AC.
Amp measurements inline with the 30 amp fuse....
0.00 to 0.010 amp with the key off
10-12 amp discharge with the key on,engine off
3-15 amp during recharge cycle of the battery.

Common problem areas....
The 30 amp Dog Bone fuse....inside the cover of the starter relay....Just replace it with a external 30 amp blade fuse and waterproof holder.
The 3 yellow wires...actually the plug..it gets cooked...cut it out and solder the wires direct.
there is no polarity,just yellow to yellow.

See Pic 4

The regulator.....If the stator works and the wiring is repaired....look at the switched volts on the black wire.It needs to be there and within 0.05 volts of the battery volts.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 114
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg