What would you do about the rust on these mufflers?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I re-read what I posted and it sounds WRONG!!!

When i did my headers same on GL1100 and GL1200, I welded on a 3"-4" long short piece of muffler pipe to the end of the header, that had to be at the right angle, that slides into the Harley muffler Harley muffle opened up so that it would slide snugly over the header end pipe, then a Harley muffler Clamp holds the Harley muffler to the header.

It sounded like I welded the mufflers directly to the header That Is NOT the case,

As the Harley mufflers are removable & replaceable.

Back to thread: try to clean the rusty places with using aluminium foil like a sponge and make it wet with CocaCola or vinegar.

U will be surprised... :shock:

So, here are some before & after pics. Spent an hour on this one yesterday with a wire wheel on my die grinder and a smaller one on my Dremel. Cleaned up pretty good I think! The other one should as well.

Now, a connundrum: do I cut off the chrome heat shields to get at the rust under there, or just paint what's exposed, or....??? My goal here is to get these things on the bike and ride the damn thing! Also, I don't have any money to throw at these right now, so the sportster muffler option is out. The open headers on my bike right now could be used for that purpose at a later time. These just need to pass the Ten Foot Test and last me a couple of years.

527803_10151525729014181_1165890770_n.jpg

554910_10151525728959181_236176119_n.jpg

64257_10151525728899181_190694324_n.jpg

269280_10151525728814181_570348006_n.jpg

Looking good.

To answer your question keeping in mind you want to ride it, I'd leave the chrome shields on but I'd paint the bare metal and spray under the shields right over the rust.
If you can mig weld they are easy to tack back on if you do take them off.
During the winter would be a good time to get more detailed on them. After a season riding they may need a fresh coat of paint anyway.

I use a product that will stop rust and convert it. I would just brush it up under the shields and let it burn off as you ride. Once you get the pipes hot again, the rust will not continue unless you let it sit.

When I did mine i bought a few cans of Ceramic High temp header paint.

When ever i paint anything, I use a white terry towel, Never use a red shop towel it will leave the red dye in your paint, and prep all surfaces, to remove dirt, oil and contaminants first.

The main thing is to get a good even paint job, and to get enough on it.

I would start off with a light (dry coat) coat then a medium and another medium at least then if it looks to light another medium coat or two.

Dont try to put to much paint on to fast. Keep a constant movement at a fixed pace, maybe try it on a piece of card board first, so you can get your speed down

But i would get those painted soon, as bare metal will rust very quickly.