wheel talk

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
its been pushed that the early comstar wheels or all comstar wheels are weak.... well it seems as things go to opposite is more the truth ....you have spoke wheels..... comstar wheels...and mag wheels .... it pretty clear the weakest wheels are the mag wheels everyone likes to use on there custom builds .... dosnt seem to get better till 1500 wheels were made ... this is not total discount of mag wheels for 4 clylinder oldwings ... there just the most likely to get bad around bearings in wheel ... personally i use them ....

many get rid of comstars when there the best wheel in my opinion of the oldwings....not trying to start anything just making the point comstars get a bad rap cause most think there ugly ... but there better than what replaced them and to me the best of what was offered by honda to the oldwing 4s no beef around the bearing on mag wheels was not a good move by honda :nea: :thanks:

It`s a good and strong lightweight wheel, lighter then cast.. I remember a thread from another forum and seem to recall a factor of the change to a cast wheel was cost, seems the comstar was an expensive wheel to manufacture.

They are nice wheels after you get them powder coated.

Attachments

• 100_1376.jpg
    100_1376.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 145
Think a lot people are put off by the rivets, :hihihi: forgetting their strength, thinking newer ways are always better than past ways. :nea:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154269#p154269:1c7qpwvv said:
ekvh » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:09 am[/url]":1c7qpwvv]
Actually quite a few who report loosening rivets.
Could be a problem in salted road or seaside areas where there is lots of corrosion. I am amazed how good my 34 year old Comstars look on the Rats Nest :good: I know a lot of DoTs don't like component wheels anymore which I assume is because of the amount of different type of components tha can possible fail. Cast wheels are pretty obviouse when there is a problem :yes:

I'm not so sure the loose rivet reports are all correct. Loose rivets can still look tight. Aviation rivets can easily be used to fix any loose rivets. I learned to trust those rivets and how to tell when they begin to loosen working on and flying in helicopters.

had them on my cx....love reverse comstar wheels, best looking wheel they ever made, never had a problem and I owned that bike from 79 until last christmas when my daughters boyfriend got it. he rides it now, still no problem with the comstars

Latest posts