Wheels

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyhonda13

Reaction score
Hi All ,

I just picked up a 1982 GL1100 as a parts bike , mostly for the chrome and lots of it , but I'm thinking of saving the final drive and wheels, I know the wheels are one inch smaller , any big issues with using the smaller wheels on a 80 Interstate ( rake , rotors, etc ) ? Thanks Bill

I can't say how it will handle with a smaller diameter wheel but I ran mine with a larger wheel and it messed up the handling.
Also the gear ratio is going to be affected.
It should all be a be a straight swap though.

yes to me id keep the swingarm and wheels annd brakes if there all there....the 82 wheels are 1/4" wider at 3.00 as oppose to the 80- 2.75...and tire selection is so much better with 82 wheels as they are like harleys sizes....the swingarm has different drivshaft and cupuler to accomidate the smaller yet wider tire of 82-83 1100 yrs ....there would be other things id keep if it were me on the 82 besidea just wheel stuff... :mrgreen:

mcgovern61":38qe1dfu said:
Between the '80 and '82 rear wheels, the axle spacers are different for lining up the brake rotors with the calipers.

The '81 wheel went right on my 83 using the '83 spacers. Maybe 83 is different?

dan filipi":348j4e9p said:
I can't say how it will handle with a smaller diameter wheel but I ran mine with a larger wheel and it messed up the handling.
Also the gear ratio is going to be affected.
It should all be a be a straight swap though.

Larger wheel than stock will decrease rake. Which will increase response. Smaller will increase rake making it respond a bit slower. How much difference will depend on the actual outside circumference of the tire. More or less sidewall will affect rake also .

dan filipi":2ff1aac4 said:
mcgovern61":2ff1aac4 said:
Between the '80 and '82 rear wheels, the axle spacers are different for lining up the brake rotors with the calipers.

The '81 wheel went right on my 83 using the '83 spacers. Maybe 83 is different?
Could be. I had trouble when I tried to install the '81 brake system on the '82 rear and pulled my hair out for a while trying to figure out why it didn't fit correctly. Pulled the '81 and '82 wheels and put them on the ground with respective spacers, rotors and calipers and that is when I found the spacers are different.

I put an 82 wheel on my 80 and rode it for a mile and melted toe right sode of the wheel.
It was rubbing on the swing arm. There is a diferance in the swing arm. The smaller diamater and widwe 82 wheel does nit fit theswing arm of the 80. Anyone want to buy an 82 wheel with a tosted tire???? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts