where to get parts?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rryman

Reaction score
While putting some stuff back on the bike this evening, I noticed that the left front brake caliper appears to be leaking. Hadn't been leaking, but apparently just started on it's own since sitting in the garage. Where's the best place to get rebuild kits. It appears to be leaking around the pistons, as the pads appear to be wet as well as the bottom of the brake disc.
Thanks,
Randy

Sure it's not your forks seals when they leak it goes to the brakes.

My left fork seal was leaking and was all over the caliper, disk and pads. I still did the rebuild of the calipers after doing the forks and I got my parts from the Honda dealer. Be sure to scrape the grooves in the calipers that the seals ride in or the pistons may not retract properly when you release the brakes. I used a Dremel and a small wire wheel for the final cleaning after scraping out all I could with an awl.
The brakes work perfect now.

Take a bow, RBG, you are absolutely correct-the left fork is leaking. Now that I've just finished getting the stock mufflers back on, another project pops up. Guess they will just start leaking from sitting around. So, another project on the boards. While I have all that down, I think I'll go ahead and rebuild the calipers whie I'm at it.
Thanks for the heads up
Randy

empty the fliud from the forks and then take a flimsy.. but strong piece of plastic and run it in one direction only on the fork between the seal and fork.. to clean off the tiny bits of debris from bugs and dust.. then run the stop leak through the forks..

OK, I was looking in the Honda Service Manual for the 1980-1983 bikes. I assume that the 83's did not have drain plugs?
How do you go about replacing the fluid and trying this tranny stop leak? I think I'll try that first before removing the things.
Randy

if no drain screws... the you have to remove from the bike and invert .. then refill to recommended level or just under.. (1 oz or less) and reinstall.. the stop leak will allow the seals to swell some and assist in closing the blowby areas..

One bow.... :music:

Wow no drain plug on 83's that sucks...

I thought so..but since I don't have an 83 and was too lazy to look in the manual..

For some reason, the manual I have doesn't show that-at least I haven't found it yet. I think it shows a bolt on the side of maybe an 82 or other model.

rryman":38xbnmbe said:
For some reason, the manual I have doesn't show that-at least I haven't found it yet. I think it shows a bolt on the side of maybe an 82 or other model.

Don't shoot me, but did you try looking at the forks on the bike to see if the drain plugs are there? Like Dan said, it's a little 8mm hex head bolt. I think it's brass colored.

I found it in Clymer under Periodic lubrication and Maint.

image.php

OK, guess I didn't look close enough. Figure 37 above shows the bolt on the side. Mine is behind the shock below the caliper and above the anti-dive stuff. Page 12-14 in the Clymer manual shows it. and page 235 in the Honda manual also shows it.
Thanks for the help. . I might drain and refill trying the tranny fix stuff, but don't know if I'm comfortable with the fork rebuild. If I can get it to stop till fall, I'd probably do it then. Need to do more studying and reading before I tackle that.

Randy, don't be afraid of the forks, they are real easy to work on. My then 16 year old daughter and I replaced the fork seals in about 15 mins per fork.

"My then 16 year old daughter and I replaced the fork seals in about 15 mins per fork"
===
I assume that is after they are off the bike, right? I have the fork seals and caliper kits ordered, so sooner or later I'm going to give it a go.
Randy

Joep":2ejhlgmd said:
if no drain screws... the you have to remove from the bike and invert..

If no drain screws on any bike
Remove wheel (or at least axle) and remove the damper rod bolt, oil will drain.
Its in the Harley Davidson workshop money making methods, "give the customer a bonus fork oil change while robbing them blind on a OEM front tyre" :smilie_happy:

rryman":2m8m7cq7 said:
"My then 16 year old daughter and I replaced the fork seals in about 15 mins per fork"
===
I assume that is after they are off the bike, right? I have the fork seals and caliper kits ordered, so sooner or later I'm going to give it a go.
Randy

I would get the bushing and sleeve for both sides as well. With the bikes being as old as they are, you might as well put new parts in there while you have it all apart.

Latest posts