Which Choice should I go with (Brakes)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron1YY

Reaction score
Ok, I have more parts on the way but I am back to square one with the Brakes on my 81' Project. I got a new to me FMC and it leaks badly. When I put the old one on, it compresses the calipers, but does not release. I have replaced the calipers and have the same issue.

I took a break from the front and started working on the back. I filled the reservoir and pumped the pedal, and nothing, Wheel spins free. I pulled the brakelink and pressed the pedal, and no fluid comes out. I got another one and that one is locked up.

Here is what I am thinking of doing at this point.

I see alot of 82' and 83 Brake systems on EBay. How much of a PITA would it be to change my 81' to an 83' or 82 Dual piston brake system, and is it worth the effort?

Thanks,
Ron

I think your best bet is to rebuild the old one if it's in otherwise useable condition.
The brakes not releasing is usually because it's dirty inside clogging the fluid return line which releases the pressure in the line so the pistons will move back away from the disk.

Randakk sells a nice front master cylinder if you'd rather go new. MSGT-R installed one on her bike and loves it.

Thank You ChasRodgers, Long video, but very informative.

The thing of it is, for the prices of rebuild kits for the Front and Rear MC and the 3 caliper rebuild kits, I can get working 80-84 entire brake systems. and I was thinking, if I am changing the whole system, why not go with the dual piston.

Ron1YY":1igjqc16 said:
if I am changing the whole system, why not go with the dual piston.
Be advised that not all of the front rotors are the same '80-'83. The single caliper brakes on the '80-'81 used solid rotors, the dual caliper '82 used vented rotors and there are differences if you use a Standard, Interstate or Aspy rotor. The primary difference is the location of the centerline of the calipers on the rotors and clearance between the pads and different rotors. The pads are the same for '80 - '81 single caliper brakes front and rear. The pads for the dual caliper '82-'83 are the same.

The location of the rear rotor from '80-'81 and '82 is different. On '82 the spacer in the axle is different.

I cannot speak for the '83 linked system since I have no experience with it.

Be careful which system you choose so that all components will work together and you do not end up with parts that do not line up (like I did :hihihi: ).

I have an '82 that I restored using '81 parts and found out the hard way that not everything is compatible.

Great info McGovern61 !! with that, I think I will shy away from the Dual piston setup and look for full single piston replacement system. I'm wanting to get on 2 wheels and enjoy some riding time as soon as possible ;)

Ron1YY":33mwrqin said:
Great info McGovern61 !! with that, I think I will shy away from the Dual piston setup and look for full single piston replacement system. I'm wanting to get on 2 wheels and enjoy some riding time as soon as possible ;)
With my bike, I had switched to the '81 single caliper system initially since I had all of the parts from a parts bike. Then I rebuilt the original '82 dual caliper front brakes and installed them with newer '82 vented rotors. As far as braking power, there was very little difference from the '81 single calipers to the '82 dual calipers EXCEPT the '82 pads are definately lasting longer! But for about $29 to $49, you can get all three sets of '81 pads (organic, not ceramic) and replace them as needed.

Latest posts