Who has painted their full dresser - ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pony Ruiz":2lujh2je said:
SlabG et all, would you apply the abs paste to this area or just bondo?
this is the extra fairing I have I plan on fixing and painting vs. the one that is on the bike - it is a bit more problematic.

I'd use a bondo to fill and form that area. Personally I'd use a product called tiger hair first as it has fiberglass in it then finish with any bondo.
And,

What do guys do with rivets that don't look like they should be removed. The latches and locks seem easy enough, but these are on the rim of the bags and aren't covered by the weatherstrip - I don't even know what these are doing. Paint and then remove the paint? Carefully mask?, Paint over and call it good?

thanks
As for any exposed rivets scuff them and paint.

well,

I tried fixing the fairing that is on the bike. I thought it was just a couple cracks in hard to get places on the lower right hand part.

Well it was cracked all over the place around and through the mounting holes on the bracket.

kinda like the damage in the photos on "serious fairing repair"

I had some abs cement and fiberglass so I took the plunge. Taped as much off it off I could on the paint side, used some purple primer and lathered it good with abs glue. Stuck the fiberglass in there and lathered some more abs glue on it....

I have this really sticky tape they use to make those temporary plastic tents - where they heat it up and stick it to itself with a hot torch. This tape stretches too. So I use it kinda like a clamp.

Works great. Works really good to glue wood things as well; that clamps would have a hard time with, without a lot more set up.

It isn't perfect on the front and it isn't any worse looking - will need bondage and paint, but at least it isn't going to get worse.

I'll probably do a couple more coats. I might even reinforce the other side and the part on the lowers that seems to break as well.

Thanks for all the help.

thats great pony just keep messing with it till it gets stronger and better in streanth than new ...i got the same problems on my 83 just havnt dived in like you yet ....sounds great :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :yahoo: :good: :mrgreen:

Well, re: the pics

It ain't worthy!

It is strong but ugly. The cracks didn't line up so well, but well enough to get some filler and paint - eventually..... I am wondering now if there is a rattle can color that comes close to the brown on this thing until/if/when I ever get around to painting it.

I got a little glue where it shouldn't be - basically it is sound, but needs paint.

one coat of abs and fiberglass. I am amazed at how strong it is.

here is a pic anyway

inside:

lower rt corner

lower rear corner

WOw,,,, I think you did a great job. When I looked at the before pictures I thought it was unfixable ( for me it would have been :oops: ) You made a whole faring again out of a badly damaged one. I need to find some kind of paint to match that brown as well. I need to paint a tank cover. If I find something I will post it on the forum.
Don

thanks!

Yeah, this fix though not perfect is a LOT better than cracked.

I sure don't think it will crack there again.

Anybody think a little bondo and rattle can would make it look worse/more noticeable?

problem is where do you stop with that.

I don't really want to take it all apart right now. It is almost summer!

I am selling my 78 so this is gonna be my ride until I get my naked 80 going. I need this one so I have something to compare/look at. I forgot where everything goes. Doh! I tooks some pics/notes/video, but I need a model bike!

I am gonna miss this guy
img1257mj.jpg

img1255ur.jpg

properly applied and smoothed bondo under some good paint will cover it well. Personally I'd leave it as is for the summer and redo it as a winter project when you are less hurried.

I had a 78 that was a favorite. Never could get it to run as good as I thought it should. I had too many projects at the time and something had to go so friend wanted to try his luck at getting that 78 to run.
Don

I had too many projects at the time

these my friend are the operative words.

I have an 80 that has been sitting on the vine.

I now have the 83 that I'm trying to make a runner.

I have home project upon home project.

The 78 is the only one worthy of listing.

to top that off I am not working as in officially unemployed. I spend waaaaaaay to much time on this, but if I died tomorrow I am gonna die happy! :lust:

Latest posts