will an 1100 standard fit in a ford ranger with a 6 ft. box

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
On Monday I plan on pickng up my "new" 1980 GL1100 std. It is a 400 mile ride and I plan on hauling my baby home in a 2000 Ford Ranger with a 6 ft. box (it is a 4 wheel drive truck with a V6 engine).
My brother seemed concerned that the rear wheel will be sitting on the tailgate (in the down position of course). He thought that the cables holding the tailgate could break. He suggested that I put a 2X8 board 92 inches long down (the length of the box plus the tailgate) and place the bike on the board thereby, taking some stress off of the tailgate and its cables.
Any thoughts regarding putting an 1100 in a Ranger?
Thanks, Jon

My Standard measures in at just about 8 feet, but closer to 6 feet at the tire contact patches. I think a 6ft Ranger bed would be pushing it. You might gain some going corner to corner if you have the clearance. The board is a good idea, but you might want to do what you can to secure the board. I don't know how far you plan to haul it, but #1 is to make sure your load is secure. Things move around during transport. Leaving the gate down will allow some extention, but those straps are not meant to bear heavy loads.

I brought home my first Wing in the bed of a 90 Dodge Dakota. It fit inside with tailgate nearly closed positioned corner to corner. I used a cargo strap to hold the tailgate up tight. Do use plenty of tie downs and check they are tight often.

Susie and I picked up an '83 1100 Interstate with a F150 6 foot bed and it fit no problem corner to corner.
I think the rear tire sat on the thicker part where the gate hinge is. I could actually lift the gate easily so there was very little weight on the gate straps. The gate would not close though.

A word of caution.
When loading, get the gate as close to the ground as possible first (ramps make this MUCH easier) then run the bike on slowly toward the right side of the gate where the supports are. This is a heavy bike and if the gate center area where it's weakest is impacted from the weight the gate could bend in the middle.
As you roll it on, standing and steering from the left side, turn the front wheel into the front left corner of the bed.
Put the sidestand down then heave the rear wheel as far to the right as it will go, strap 'er down and hit the road.

It will fit.Neighber guy brought home to michigan a 82 interstate from arizona in the back of a 93 shortbed(5 foot) ranger,tailgate down.He trimed out a 1/2" 4x8 sheet of plywood to fit around the truck wheel wells and headed home.
He went down to viset a dying friend and did not plan on returning with a bike.

I have an F-150 with an 8 foot bed and i still wouldnt attempt this, I would just rent a u-haul motorcycle trailer cause i never liked the idea of my 300lbs butt on top of a heavy bike riding up a board into the back of a pickup :headscratch:

Hi,
Thanks for all of your comments. For various reasons, my wife and I took our car and just looked at the GL1100 and heard it run. It is in pretty good shape! We're in the process of arranging transportation for the GL1100 from Neenah, Wi. to Babbitt, MN.
Here's another question: were the radiator covers (shrouds) chrome from the factory?
Thanks,
Jon

Rent a uhaul trailer. They're fairly cheap compared to the cost of f*cking up your truck or having the bike tip over or any of the 100's of other things that can go wrong trucking them.

My buddy carried his rocket III in an F150 and now his gate is bent. :(

So they are chrome - thanks. I have owned many 75-78 GL1000's and the shrouds on them were painted and pin-striped. So, when I saw my 1980 gl1100 and they were chrome I thought they might be after market accessories.
I didn't drive it home because I'm recovering from an August cycle accident. My neck is in a brace, I am partially paralyzed on my right side and because I blacked-out while riding, Minnesota pulled my driver's license. For some reason, my wife wouldn't let me ride the GL1100 home ;)

goldwing55706":lbkl3jkg said:
So they are chrome - thanks. I have owned many 75-78 GL1000's and the shrouds on them were painted and pin-striped. So, when I saw my 1980 gl1100 and they were chrome I thought they might be after market accessories.
I didn't drive it home because I'm recovering from an August cycle accident. My neck is in a brace, I am partially paralyzed on my right side and because I blacked-out while riding, Minnesota pulled my driver's license. For some reason, my wife wouldn't let me ride the GL1100 home ;)
How could a wife be so restrictive???? :smilie_happy: :whistling:

:hi: That is also kind of nerrow minded of minisota to pull your lic. for that they lit a lot of people drive with worse conditions than that...doppers ...drunks....teenagers.....foriners(who can't read english) and blon....OUCH!!! just got book up side the head.... touchey, touchey... noe i think i am going to blackout...some people just can't take a joke :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Bob(with half a brain)

Latest posts