Windows 10

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running quicker than Win7.. hmmmm.
I got annoyed by Win10 advert in the task bar so installed Win10 advert remover. No more advert or sudden automatic upgrade to Win10.

My Win7 PC is fairly slow these days but I guess that's because of anti-virus stuff. It's like a leech sucking PC's blood.

I believe Win 10 is designed to 2-way communicate closely with Microsoft in that a software or hardware problem causing stability issues, is patched and pushed to the computer to fix it. At least it seems that way since I've added in a modem and video card that worked buggy but after some time installed the issues went away. Good in that sense but does make me wonder what else could be sent to Microsoft but it seems to me if you have nothing to hide then it's all good.
I've been running it about 8 months and honestly it runs better now than it ever did, which is unusual because historically Windows degrades over time.

I d-loaded Win10 a long time ago, but never installed it. Once I finally decided to install it, it weren't there no mo....it disappeared. I had to d-load the dang thing again, and install it as soon as it finished the d-load.
So far, it's ok, for my uses. I do NOT like some of the stuff that is no longer there(from Win 7), or is hidden so well it takes forever to find it(File explorer, search bar, etc) I do NOT like the damn pictures that come up when you first start it up, nor do I like having to sign on every time....that's just stoopid. I liked being able to just wake my machine up, and it bring up my desktop immediately.
On my home PC, Win 10 works well....on this lappy at werk, it SUX....too dam slow, and it locks up quite a bit.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the vintage of the puter? Anyone start with Vista on their computer? Dell support states the machine is not compatible with Win 10. Even though MS kept trying to download and install 10, I wonder if it assumes if you're running 7 you can run 10? I hid the 10 update & alert, so it doesn't ask. I figure I paid for 7, it works and when the machine quits, I'll buy one with whatever is the latest flavor

I'm running Win 10 on both my desktop and laptop and I would never want to go back to 8, 7, or XP, the one draw back it some of the old games won't run on 10, but I don't play many video games. One of the things I love about it is how fast it loads at startup. It just has a ton of neat features that I love.

I would still run XP Pro if it was being serviced as that ran well on old and new machines ( still have it on P3 Dell laptops with minimum ram). The laptop is running 10 and it is heaps better than 8+ but I haven't been able to figure out how to extend the battery life when it is shut down ( USB ports stay powered up when off, will Google it eventually :doh: ). I am also loving the SSHD that I have now installed even though it is only 240G ( using the original 750g in external box as storage and still formatted with the 8+ install ) as the machine boots up really well. When Bigger SSHD get cheaper I will install one into the laptop and use the old one as the boot drive for my computer so that it boots up,quicker. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177210#p177210:34byi93d said:
PurpleGL1200I » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:41 pm[/url]":34byi93d]
Take a look at pricewatch.com to see current stateside prices for SSHDs. I'm assuming Oz also has discount electronics stores/web sites.

g'day to you.
:thanks:

Hey Wes forgot to mention that you can go back to Windows 7 after doing the 10 install if you want. This way after doing the installation on your specific machine, you've gotten Windows 10 free to install later on it if you decide to.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... windows-10

After reading the article, I'm still confused. Are you saying you can install WIN 10, then revert back to (my op Win 7), then in 2020 you could go back to win 10? The pc I use is old, but does the job and Dell states they aren't going to check for Win 10 compatibility issues or drivers to make it work, so I'm kind of in a pickle. I sent in a question like this to MS, don't expect an answer. IF you go through the install does it verify your pc is compatible? Do network boxes, or printers get hung up in the compatibility issues? Does Win 10 try to hook up all the devices it sees? All of the printers I have are on networks.

When you update to 10, they give you 30 days to revert back to the old OS. Exceed the 30 days and you have to stay with 10.
You could install 10 On the same machine any time in the future after you've done the initial upgrade. I have done fresh installations on quite a few machines this way but you MUST do the upgrade installation first.

Compatibility...... I have started a few installs on laptops and it does verify compatibility on most things, hardware at least.
On at least one laptop I had to search for drivers to make the touchpad work properly.
It's a good idea to check your printers for win 10 drivers before going forward. I have one laser that's finicky but working fine.

I suggest the best way to do this upgrade is to make an image of your operating system beforehand using Windows backup or another drive imaging program. You'd save this image backup to another hard drive. This way if anything goes wrong (and it does) you can go back to that image.
I have gone back to Windows 7 several times and has worked perfect every time but there's no guarantees when it comes to the Windows operating systems. I think you will be fine but it's better to be safe than sorry. At least save all your important stuff like documents, photo's, video's to some type of backup device be it DVD, an external hard drive etc. Should be doing backups like this anyway.

10-4 on the back ups. Use the Acronis (sp?) to copy entire hd about the first of month (when I remember). That has saved the bacon more than a few times. I placed a request to Canon about working with Win 10. I take, by the lack of mention about, network boxes they aren't an issue.