Working on my solex mod

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree that idle has no effect above idle because of the transition that takes place going from pulling gas in from the idle circuit as it transitions into the next jet.
I do agree though trying to fix mixture above idle by changing idle jet, might be a wrong move.

On my Solex, I got idle very close then leaned the primary jet. There was a point which introduced a flat spot between idle and primary. Going up .05 in idle size, got rid of the flat spot.

My approach would be....get a good idle first, then work on the off idle mixture.
Once off idle then into primary are right, mixtures and transitions will line up like they should.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161579#p161579:2mzih4mo said:
rob.lafady » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:47 pm[/url]":2mzih4mo]
Dan, do you know what kind of mileage your getting with your setup?

yes dan your right idle dose have effect on whats above idle ...i said it has nothing to do with the idle jet after that ....the adjustable screw jet also in the idle circuit im sure is used to get better off idle before main primary jet ...it looks to me he could have adjusted that and got rid of bog and no power off idle ...it adjust lke a mix screw it seems ...and then primary almost instantly takes over is how i see this carb working ...though im only looking at pictures that were posted in this thread could very well be wrong :thanks:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161579#p161579:1qn7atpr said:
rob.lafady » Today, 12:47 pm[/url]":1qn7atpr]
Dan, do you know what kind of mileage your getting with your setup?
I'm getting 41 to 43 mpg.

Yeah I let myself get fixated on the idle jet. Will get the bike idling good again and then look at adjusting the main jet. :doh: :thanks:

Well I found a 1 on the jet rest was obscured. However sizing with a welding tip cleaner( assuming smaller # means bigger cleaner it was a size 8 (or 22 if its vice versa) just need to convert that to an actual measurement and translate into a jet size

Obscured??? I have to use a magnifying glass just to read the small numbers in the first place. Add to it that numbers appear to be hand stamped and yeah, I can understand that they may be obscured. :smilie_happy:

used the calipers at work to measure the tip cleaner and it came out to 1.25mm. So allowing for play its probably the 127.5. So what size should I drop it to?

I think anything below 1.35 will be too small because these are what I've arrived at:

Solex:
.35 idle
1.40 Primary

32/32 dft:
.50 idle
1.35 Primary
.95 Secondary

On the dft I have played with the air bleed also which may account for the smaller Primary.

carburetors today is like voo doo to most ...and most comment about them is usually way off target ....its really just a well controled spay bottle like mist adjusted to stay in consistent in its make up.....personally i like the weber dft set up ....i have modded mine to have many adjustments through out the rpm zone of a oldwing ....the solex has about 1/2 that many adjustments ...but im convince it can be adjusted in for oldwing ...i work on toms solex briefly ....i got it to idle and run fine ...but i never road tested it ...was at a meet and greet ....to full of beer for that.... :beer:

Ok got my jets on Friday put in the 112 couldn't get above 45 mph, pulled that put in the 120, much much better but acceleration lags past 60 and hills it drops off and hard to maintain speed, so gonna try to put the 122 in during my lunch break and see how it goes on my trip home

So progress is being made. That's a good thing. In light of where some others have ended. 1.22 might still be a bit small. Keep at it you're getting there.

:popcorn:

I got the last O-rings for mine last night and finished with the rebuild, so I am going to be reinstalling it tonight/tomorrow night. I found so much rust and dirt in the bowl it was no wonder my bike was running so badly.

My idle jet is .35 and the main jet is now sitting at 1.30.

Latest posts