Worn keys...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could a worn key keep my rear tail light from working when everything else does? I have a lit tail light when the key is in park, but I don't when the bike is running. roncar's thread about keys got me wondering if a new key would help. I really have no clue what happens inside the ignition when one turns the key. :mrgreen:

~O~

Start with the basics rather than the complex..... First, look at your tail light bulb. I believe you'll find that one of your filaments is out. Test the bulb with an Ohm meter or, just replace the bulb. If that doesn't resolve the problem, move to your wiring connections that run from the tail light. Regarding your question of the key being the problem.... The key can't be the problem but, the ignition switch could be. But, for now, stick with the basics and look at your bulb and primary connections.

I've been sitting for 10 minutes trying to remember whether I checked the bulb or not...surely I must have back before I did the workaround. I'm sure I did but now I'll check it again to make absolute sure. :Awe:

~O~

IF the bulb lights with the ignition in the "Park" position, the bulb is obviously good. My bet is the ignition switch, too. Mine has been gettin a little more contrary every day...I have to fiddle with it to get the lights to stay on....they sometimes might go off while riding, so I gotta try to keep an eye on them.

AApple":3gzvr6d8 said:
IF the bulb lights with the ignition in the "Park" position, the bulb is obviously good.
No. The bulb has two filaments, a 'running' and a 'stop'. When you switch the ignition to the 'park' position, only one of the filaments receives power. Not both, as that would be unnecessary and, it would place an undo drain on the battery.

OmegaMan said, "I have a lit tail light when the key is in park, but I don't when the bike is running...." So, when he turns his ignition to 'park', his switch is sending current to the brake filament which, he verifies, is working. But, when the bike is running, the tail light is not working. This means that the tail light filament is burnt out.

Kerrect, BUT...he has "Park" lights, meaning the low beam element is working. His concern is about the tail light...not the brake light, which would be the "high" beam element. Unless I missed sumptin...which is entirely possible. :mrgreen:

Latest posts