York SC 1978 gl1000 LTD

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hansmanbo

Reaction score
Hey... My name is Hans. I'm a truck driver from York SC. Just picked up this 78 gl1000 cheap off Ebay. Still haven't ridden it yet due to carb problems, but hope to start her up soon. Sat in storage for 12 years, so timing belts and tires are on the priority list. I've been working on cars for years, so I'm mechanicly inclined to fix whatever with the help of your tutorals. :music: I think I may have already screwed up the cam sync, and damaged the valves, but have a spare motor available to replace heads if need be. :sensored: Will gl1100 heads fit on a gl1000? :help: Should keep me buzy for years to come.....

1100 Heads will bolt right on a 1000 but you wouldn't have the points on the left head.

I would put your early cams in the 1100 heads or you could just pull out the valves you need from the 1100 head and put them in the 1000 head, i believe they are the same but verify that by measuring them.

yesthe 1100 heads do fit but the 1000 but thy are not not reaaly machined right to hold the 1000 ignition system so useing the 1000 heads s probably the best move unless there damaged in some way .....the 1100 heads can be made to work tho if there complete and in good shape as they are ....but the 1000 cams would have to be installed to work the ignition and be thesae grind.... :mrgreen:

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Hans!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

slabghost":1s3ydqjz said:
Welcome aboard. What makes you think the valves may be damaged?
I goofed when changing belts, and had the right bank 180 off. When hand cranking, I felt some resistance, but not sure if I bent anything. Battery cranking will still blow my finger off the plug hole, so still not sure till I get a compression test.

Hey everyone just joined the forum. I purchased the gl1000 from Hans a few months ago. Sounded like it just needed the carbs synched but he was right he had them spot on. I have the bike running about 95 percent right now. I disassembled the carbs and found the pilot jets clogged solid. Took a guitar string and a lot of effort to get them clear, at one time thought the factory soldered them closed. The right side cam timing was off one tooth also. Runs pretty well now, dosen't burn oil, compression 150lbs all around. Really fun bike. Different enough from the gl1100 to keep it, much lower gearing keep looking for 6th gear. Right cam gear on both bikes wobbles a little making the belt walk a little on pulley bearings. Don't know if anyone else has come across similiar potential problem?