canuckxxxx's Single carb manifold build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136040#p136040:252b9f56 said:
canuckxxxx » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:08 am[/url]":252b9f56]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136034#p136034:252b9f56 said:
esturdivant » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:00 pm[/url]":252b9f56]
Brian - and you just used plain 'ol silver solder like the plumbers use?

Yes and a propane torch.

I should add that I have complete faith in the pipe-to-fitting socket joints holding up over time. But my original plan was to have the pipe-to-end cap joints brazed, but I ended up just soldering them. Those are butt joints so not nearly as much surface area. Maybe, over time with vibration and expansion and contraction with heating/cooling those joints might fail so will have to see. Seems very solid now but...?

Brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136044#p136044:1qycheex said:
joedrum » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:14 am[/url]":1qycheex]
:popcorn: i notice captain dingy is touting off about no heat needed over at saunders...after pushing that for ever as a requirement ... lol he must be watching us here brian :hihihi:
:smilie_happy:
What a odd character he is.

I wonder if it's ever dawned on him the fuel charge is wet? :smilie_happy:
Okay that's enough of :0fftopic: :hihihi:

Well I must admit the I was a "Heat is needed for good running" decipel myself until recently. :Doh2: :whip: After shutting the heat off on my other setup and now this copper one and seeing that the bike runs great, I am not pushing that any more. I shutter to think of the money I spent on putting that coolant heating setup on.

Anyways, onward and upward. :Egyptian: Just came back from another ride. About 20 km mostly highway, 65 to 70 mph. Bike ran fine, no stumbles, bogging or anything bad. :good:

Main roads are bare and mostly dry but I really had to be careful on on/off ramps because there is still ice here and there.

Brian

its 25 degrees here brian but i ran hooch for awhile cranked right up throttle lock it a bit and it idled about 1000 rpm ran till i shut it off ... might ride it in a few days suppose to warm some ....awesome the ride report brian .... we really do the job here at classic :yahoo:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136050#p136050:12rzkecn said:
canuckxxxx » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:22 pm[/url]":12rzkecn]
Sheesh, it's about 43 F here and that is about as cold as I can stand. You must be one tough SOB! :shock: :salute:
Agreed! This is one area where my Vetter faring shined! In cold temps, with the lowers installed and wearing a zero zone suit, I could easily ride in those temps. With just a windshield now, it is a tad bit colder! :shock:

Well I managed to find some long radius 90º bends so I decided to try and make a copper manifold that would flow better. So along with the long radius bends I am planning on bringing the runners into the plenum angled up so the air/gas has a straighter shot into the runners than if the runners just go into the side of the plenum.

I am also trying to make the runners the same length. It is a cosmic mind bender trying to figure out what angle from horizontal to cut the holes in the end cap. So I made some wooden "plenums" that I am experimenting with. Besides I know you like wood Joe. :builder:

Also, I bought a foot of 1 1/8" ID fuel hose, the same type as I used for the grab rail manifold. Although it might not look as nice, I am thinking of cutting the runners near the plenum and joining them with fuel hose. So the plenum will be isolated from expansion, vibration and any stresses that might otherwise be on the manifold after it is bolted down solid.

Here is where I am at right now.

it must nice for ones who have oldwings that get to this forum where there is no boundries and negativity to induction mods and is imbraced completely ...and builds such as this thread are seen and back completely with enthusiasm from other members....

there are better running singles here than were ever produce back in the day by companies that obviously did not do much in actually making and selling a decent product that work good ...but here i have to say there is builds that far surpass efforts of the past ..... and this build is looking good brian

You've got that right Joe. Definitely a real sense of community and support here at CGW. Haven't found that on other GW sites. I think it comes down to the attitude of the senior members. :good: :thanks:

Brian

Did some fitting and soldering tonight. Got all the runners soldered into the plenum. I will do the rest of the soldering tomorrow with the runners mounted on the engine. Then do the air leak test and then see how it runs. :builder:

You can see from the shot looking down that the charge will have a direct feed into the runners.

That's going to be an eye catcher especially if you polish it up. I haven't read back for a while. Are you planning to use the transition (2-1) and weber or a one brl carb on this?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136975#p136975:2mnzhvvx said:
slabghost » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:54 pm[/url]":2mnzhvvx]
That's going to be an eye catcher especially if you polish it up. I haven't read back for a while. Are you planning to use the transition (2-1) and weber or a one brl carb on this?

I'm using the 2 barrel with the 2 to 1 adapter. :good:

Now I know that a heated plenum is not absolutely necessary but it seemed like a pretty easy thing for me to do to my copper manifold. I just soldered a piece of 1/2" copper pipe onto the bottom and soldered on some fittings to accept barbed fittings. Got a good solder filet between pipe and plenum bottom so should be decent heat transfer. :builder:

Did a leak test of the manifold before I put it on and it was perfectly air tight. Got the whole thing back together and running. Ran real nice...about the same as other copper manifold. Runners got nice and warm and plenum was just above room temperature with coolant flowing.

The weather here is very warm and the snow and ice is melting fact. Might be able to go for a test ride tomorrow. :moped: I am anxious to try what Joe did and put the 220 air jet into the primary side.

Will keep you posted :Egyptian: