'81 1100 Standard - Restore and Sell

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pics of the aftermarket chrome oil filter housing. It might look good on the outside, but by missing the inside lip to hold the rubber seal secure, it is no good as far as I am concerned.

image.php

image.php

image.php

I am going to put the filter housing in a box with the other "farkles" of chrome like the fuel pump cover, spark plug wire cover and chrome intake shields. The new owner can decide if they want them installed. Not for me!

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187750#p187750:3tuawfq5 said:
mcgovern61 » Yesterday, 9:08 pm[/url]":3tuawfq5]
I'll tell ya, this '81 with the OEM seat and the shocks and forks all aired up is a lot taller than my '82! Even I cannot flatfoot on flat ground.

Might be that someone changed out factory parts for other parts to make it a little taller?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187771#p187771:ft90b5xo said:
julimike54 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:32 pm[/url]":ft90b5xo]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187750#p187750:ft90b5xo said:
mcgovern61 » Yesterday, 9:08 pm[/url]":ft90b5xo]
I'll tell ya, this '81 with the OEM seat and the shocks and forks all aired up is a lot taller than my '82! Even I cannot flatfoot on flat ground.

Might be that someone changed out factory parts for other parts to make it a little taller?
No, it is all factory OEM. I went through a lot of changes to get my '82 lower. I have an aftermarket seat that is already 2" lower, plus the '82 already sits lower. I also pulled the rear air shocks and put coil spring progressive style shocks on that are 1/2" lower than stock. Going from the '81 to my '82 is like coming from a tractor trailer down to a low rider! :smilie_happy:

We took the bike out on a highway run and boy did she need that! Every quirk you hear from an engine that sat for years worked their way out to a super smooth running machine. The only real issues on the highway are one, just the fact that it is an '81 the RPM's at 75 MPH run at about 5200 RPM compared to my '82 (which has an '83 engine) that runs about 4100 RPM at 75 MPH.

The Plexistar windshield does not provide the protection that my Plexifaring III has. There is a lot more wind noise. Colleen said she was getting clobbered. I will have to try to match the angles of my installation and try again.

Lastly, the front forks started losing air before we got back. I filled last week. Not too bad but not something I would put up with. I have the Progressive fork springs left over from my '81 and I may just pop them in and change the fork oil. With the Progressives, you don't really need any air in the front and certainly not on a Standard.

That is the idea Joe. We are not spending any extra money out of budget to fix these items if I already have parts lying around. In the end, I wouldn't sell the bike knowing any part of it was in question (beyond an Owners preference item). Just like anything else I have sold, it has to meet the same standards as if I or my family were to ride it without worry. It is mostly labor, but the labor is fun! :yes:

Good on you Gerry! I like to think that anything I sell can be put through the ringer and come up sparkling as well. :good: :salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187827#p187827:f9zv5sna said:
canuckxxxx » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:08 pm[/url]":f9zv5sna]
Suggestion: for selling I think it would look better with the Plexifairing down more around the headlight and without the eyebrow thing on the headlight. Just my opinion.
Good catch! I had it up out of the way to polish the chrome! Darn, now I need to take a few more pictures.

Took the bike out for a ride. It sure is running good, but I notice during warm up that if I flip the throttle with the choke on, the engine wants to stutter rather than accelerate. After warm up, I did another short flip of the throttle and same thing, a little hesitation and stutter. Hmmm......seems like the accelerator pump or circuit is not working. I decide to pull the carbs. This is not something I want to a chance on when selling the bike. I want to be sure the carbs are OEM factory correct.

Pulled the carbs and setup my lawn mower gas tank to the carbs to put some gas pressure on them. Flip the throttle and no gas coming out the acc jets. :cheeky:

I though I cleaned everything? Checked the acc pump cover and sure enough, nothing is flowing. I put an air compressor on it and still no flow through the port. I must have missed this one........ :oops:

I tried to dig down from the port with a paper clip,but nothing came out. Here is a pic from Roady's tutorial showing the flow of those passages.

image.php

The accelerator pump cover has two channels to clean. I found that this is a good place where that high "E" string from a guitar is handy! You can poke around the brass insert with the string to clear the passage and then spray carb cleaner through the hole. That did the trick! :yahoo:

While off the bike, I went through everything on the carbs again to be sure i didn't miss anything else. Checked the float levels again and made minor adjustments. Set up the lawn mower tank and filled with gas again. This time, the acc jets all fired like they are supposed to. :clapping:

Carbs back on the bike and she started right up. Flip the throttle and no hesitation, but now a little carb sync noise (Looks like I will be syncing them again now that I made changes). Took the bike out again and, OH BOY, hang on for dear life! This bike really turned into a rocket! :party:

No hesitation at all now. Lesson learned......... :oops:

I am going to add this.......now that I have cleaned my first set of 1100 carbs, I would not hesitate to do another set. They really are not that hard to clean and I am finding they are fairly easy to dial in. I would encourage those that have good mechanical aptitude to not hesitate to clean and rebuild your carbs with the advice found in the tutorials.

Latest posts