04 dodge neon coils

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Beav,

With all the $$$ from the pulleys (just kiddin' I know you didn't do it to make a profit) why not got "all in" and get the MSD ignition system I posted about (the one for the miget cars that uses Neon style coils and is computer programmable for advance and timing curves and doesn't care about anything but a trigger pulse from any type of ignition system)

Here is a link to that post:

viewtopic.php?p=54245#p54245

Only costs about 750 dollars!!!! BUT is is the LAST ignition system you would EVER have to buy for your wing!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Rich

Yeh Rich, I thought about those for all of two minutes ha ha...It's sound great but I cannot spend that much right now, on something like that.[Wife will beat me with a stick] .... especially when all is good..Dan offered some ignitors if I burn these up, my question was is the ignitiors the only item that can be damaged on the motorbike??? Dan said yes that he know's of...well if I can't hurt anything but the ignitors I think I'm gonna try it..And if I blink something up, screw it I will get another bike or fix it..

Naw it ain't over until I'm done with my research fella's.....SCREW IT, I'm trying it out , tonight I took off the original coils and replaced them with the 04 coil pack, Yes I have a 81, the ignitors don't get so hot I can't touch them, I can handle them just fine, I let the bike idle so long tonight and I feel the ignitors were not overly hot but warm..for sure..Not hot hot..not gonna melt the backs I don't reckin...I'm a primitive type guy in many ways, and I want to put the motorbike out on the highway and open her up tomorrow, I am going to abuse her a tad, I'm going to run through the gears like there's a mad Joe Drum chasing me..ha ha....I'm going to try to sling some of that new grease I put in the rear end,, if this stuff laces my rear tire the way that moly bullcrap did I'm going to make a protest sign or something mean like that :rant: .. I will go buy brand new spark plugs tomorrow and check the gaps :good: ..I don't want to touch them because if all goes good I can say I never touched them,, I did use my plug caps though...and yes I think they have built in resistors for the radio sound or some crap like that :shock: ..some say not to use it..screw it I am. :shock: .so stay tuned. :shock: ..Joe just a note to you sir..this has nothing to do with proving anyone wrong or anything like that, it's just another thing many others have done already :clapping: ..I'm the type of guy that has to learn the hard way or maybe change it to a new way..Someone plumb opened the door, :clapping: I just wanta play is all :yahoo: ..if all that can go wrong is the ignitors might get all gooie, what the heck right??? If I fudge it up I fudge it up..ha ha hey throw me another beer someone...aaah :shock: [not] got the dia- beat- tease ... I asked the doctor if I have to cut back my beer intake, he replied well yes you do,, :rant: ,, So I asked him so I can only have a 12 pack instead of a case now or what. :smilie_happy: .he laughed..half a pizza instead a whole one..??? ha aah :smilie_happy:

n2ppn":14inw47h said:
Hey Beav,

With all the $$$ from the pulleys (just kiddin' I know you didn't do it to make a profit) why not got "all in" and get the MSD ignition system I posted about (the one for the miget cars that uses Neon style coils and is computer programmable for advance and timing curves and doesn't care about anything but a trigger pulse from any type of ignition system)

Here is a link to that post:

viewtopic.php?p=54245#p54245

Only costs about 750 dollars!!!! BUT is is the LAST ignition system you would EVER have to buy for your wing!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Rich
Hey that's a payment for one of those 1800 jobs' :shock:

OK here are the results of my run 8 miles down 281 to Alamo Staduim and back to the Airport on the highway where I live... 16 miles and another 3 riding around the neighborhood, What was it Joe drum said about his Mongrel It ran like a Raped Ape :shock: :shock: ...Oh my goodness, I looked down on the roll on coming back and I was in third gear still , looked down and the speedo said 75 mph's Holy Smackrals man :shock: , I was justa gettin it I quickly shifted the gears thru 4 and 5th and well guess what?? My speedo only goes to like 85mph's..it was at max and justa gettin it I hav3e no idea how fast the bike was going but I know it was over 85 :smilie_happy: .. I have no idea how long these coils will last before they melt the ignitors :shock: , they may never melt ..I do not know..But I will report to you and let you good fella's know how it goes..

well im confident there working better than what you had ....corse im sure there old coils and wires and ends unless you change them beav ....after thinking on this the built in resisitors of the 80 -81 yr bikes may bring the the neon coils closer to stock resistance and may be fine beave ....just keep looking beave for heat in the igniters ...its obviously running better good beav so far :music: :mrgreen:

It seemed to run a little smoother at a high rate of speed Joe, I have the original coils and yeh, I bet they are tired, Dave over at the Saunder's site was starting all of this stuff, I read what he said, and read some other post too... Only time will tell, but it runs fine..Hell it ran good before too. I have no complaints but it just seems like it's running better now..I will be the first to say if something goes wrong..I promise..then Joe, you can tell me I told ya so all you want ha ha....It did kinda feel like my XS-1100 that would go over a hundred easy..

this is great beav ...just keep watching everything involved....this will prove the neon for 80-81 yrs ...82 is by itself in ignition and so is 83 ....matching a right resistor for 82 and 83 might not be to hard to figure ...so in my book this is the hardest gamble the 80-81 im hopeing this works out bigtime we need alternitives

There is another post on this site for wiring in an ignition relay to provide more power to the coils and reduce the power going though the spark unites is this a valid options.

well i can tell you the relay when hooked to 75-77 yr 1000s dosnt perform right ....it looks like two relays or some rewiring would have to be done for it to work right ...ive kinda stop working on that for awhile when i figured that the wiring made it difficult to bypass the swtches of the kill and starter button in the run possistion....im going to get back at it soon as the 77 is having a 1200 put in

PTATSOC":33ybh62l said:
There is another post on this site for wiring in an ignition relay to provide more power to the coils and reduce the power going though the spark unites is this a valid options.
I would do the relay before Neon coils.
The relay would could help with the Neon coils too so it's a good thing to do.

Latest posts