04 Infiniti with detonation...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, my 04 Infinity has a problem with detonation. Regardless of weather, A/C on or off, mostly premium. The wife just admitted to putting 1/2 a tank of mid-grade last fill up, but it doesn't matter it detonates with premium.

If memory serves this is usually a "tune-up" issue. Timing, injectors, what?

~O~

I did a google search for Infinity detonation and come up with a detonation sensor.

I wonder, is this something that just started?
If so I might suspect this sensor, I'm going blind though and relying on what's on the Innernet cuz it must be fact. :roll:

Hey try a Seafoam treament.

Detonation is computer controlled now. I'm betting its a sensor or computer issue. Get the trouble codes checked. AutoZone will do it free.

Pinging, or detonation, can be caused by several things, as well as fuel quality. Dan mentioned what is known as the knock sensor, which could very well be the problem. It's job is to sense pinging, or engine knock due to timing, or any other issues, and retard the timing accordingly, until it no longer senses the knock. I would definitely find someone to pull the codes, to see if it has any, and what they are. Knock sensors fail usually due to mechanical damage(someone breaking the connector, or something like that), but they can just take a dump for no reason.
A malfunctioning EGR valve can also cause the pinging, as can too much heat(overheating), carbon buildup on the tops of the pistons(pre-ignition), or a really lean fuel mixture.
I'd suggest seeing if there are any codes stored, and go from there....and possibly throw a can of Octane boost in it for now.... :yes:

Randy, what model is this? Q45, 35? I'll pull any TSBs it may have for ya....

Ya, maybe, but it would normally also have a running issue, like a miss, or surge...sumtin lak that. Best thing to use for slightly derty infectors is Techron in the tank....stuff werks really well. A lazy, or not working O2 sensor could also cause it to run lean, but any of the above issues should set codes, and turn the Check Engine light on.

I pulled the TSBs for a Q45, and there's plenty of them, but only one that MIGHT be related....depending on codes.

is it a ping or a knock? Put a stethoscope on the engine while it is running, if you don't have the stethoscope, then a piece of dowel. These engines are known to have valve issues and some of them even eat main bearings. If it is a bearing replace the oil pump, when you do the bearings.

macka":3dxtbq5l said:
is it a ping or a knock? Put a stethoscope on the engine while it is running, if you don't have the stethoscope, then a piece of dowel. These engines are known to have valve issues and some of them even eat main bearings. If it is a bearing replace the oil pump, when you do the bearings.

That does not sound good.

Randy...is it ONLY doing this while cruizing at speed/under throttle, or is this a noise it is making all the time?

Omega Man":1kxuvtm0 said:
it's intermittent(never constant) at speed Joel. as soon as you accelerate it goes away. It "IS" detonation, I know what it sounds like.

~O~

Sounds like it's running lean at partial throttle, Throttle Position Sensor?
I've had to replace a couple of them on a Ford and Chevy.

Omega Man":2tfoj8i2 said:
Thanks macka. Maybe I'll just have that sensor replaced, as I don't have a code reader and I doubt AutoZone will let me "borrow theirs.

~O~
Randy, my local AutoZone will check all codes for free with their reader.