1200 into a 1000 chopped

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WP_001155.jpg

Seat mock up. I am hollowing it out so it will sit on the frame tubes. I plan to use ABS 1-1/2 pipe with an abs sheet across the bottom.
WP_001157.jpg

Still have to lower it a bunch as it makes my butt look big. It's starting to look like I might get to ride this!!!!

milk crates my favorite stands ....man the tank looks good ... seat looks good ...yep letd get this baby going ...so you can ride it to my house in a test run ...to the meet and greet ...cant be much more than 5000 miles round trip ....that ought to work the bugs out ...if it has any .....yep this bike in its present form is looking good eric ....love the magna front and all ....i think its great custom bike and dont look like a cookie cutter custom

I have already checked and it's a little over a 1000 there, Joe, but I would love to make a 5000 mile trip. My Dad in Florida, brothers in NC, Va, NH, AZ, Mom in Maine, kids in Toronto and Vancouver. That'd get over 5000. Truth is I want RIDE!! More snow today. Very few days above freezing in March and April. We may get another 7-14" this Sunday. It's getting really, really old!!!!

well you sould be able to come then eric its just around the corner then .....to me it seems you and i are the two willing to stick too the 1200 will work principle with success in mind ....it always amazed me that everyone was so negitive ......its time to get this motor and bike together eric hooch needs a buddy

That's a very nice job you are doing there. I hope that you will be able to ride it this summer and can't wait to see the final result of it. Good Luck

Still here, still working. I have time to work now. I hope to get this running soon. I have tons to do yet as it is a combination of at least eight bikes. I loaded it and brought it to my summer and soon to be permanent residence, Winnipeg, MB.
image.jpg

I've got brakes and a clutch. Added a helmet lock. I decided last night that the bars I bought were too far forward so I put the ones off my old 77 and it feels right to me. The other ones had me reaching too far forward. Maybe a riser and setback some day. Of course that meant redoing brake lines and had to move the clutch line to make it reach. After that it was mostly trying to wrap my brain around how this is going to be wired up. I need a battery and a place to put it means I'll have to buy a xLifepo4 smaller battery. Filled the differential. Mounted Dyna, but not wired yet. I still have to put oil,antifreeze, hoses....lots before I get to fire it up. I used Hammerite paint on the frame......junk...chips easily. Maybe I waited to long between primer coats.

Last night:
image.jpg

I'll take another pic later of the different bars. They are taller and pull backside clear the tank with ease.

Shame about the paint chipping but I love the look. I appreciate what you are saying about the bars I don't like the clip ons as much on my 91 as the ones on my 87 CBR . You don't need a lot of wiring. I use multi strand trailer wiring ( 7&5 core over here) to remake the harness and relays for all power circuits (headlight, fan and ignition.

hmmmm.......okay seems to me you could use a car battery close by to supply power to test it ...that is useally what I do anyway bring back a motor is a lot on a motorcycle battery anyway ....you sould steady the bike good and wire up the dyna motor and battery and try and start this beast...to see where motor is at ...no sense is spending more before you find out ...im sure whatever wiring place your at could be dealt with enough info

Any idea how much money and time you have spent on it so far? Looks like a LOT of work ..!!

I haven't, I don't want to think what I've spent. I had the original bike for years. I bought the Magna for $500, and it was junk, so I,ve parted half of it away. If I would get busy I could get more from that. I picked up my 1200 for $125, got lucky on EBay. Head gaskets, brakes, miscellaneous new parts can really add up fast, but I doubt I have $1000 in it so far. I still need new brake lines, but I'm going to ride it before I dump more in it. If it goes good, I'll probably just ride it in primer this year. I need turn signals, brake lights, ... I'll put the 77 headlight on for now. I can't wait!! I will bring my other 77 on Saturday and use it as my guide for wiring this one up. I will try and get some smoke and noise out of it soon, I hope.

With the higher and pull back bars. Not the look I wanted, but I gotta keep it comfortable and I like these for feel. I ended up moving the seat back an inch and down an inch with my chopping madness. It' plenty low for my artificial hip, and the " good " hip which will get replaced soon. I am pretty sure my suspension mods added height to ground clearance though.
image.jpg

Can anyone tell me why my pics are coming so small?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84056#p84056:37nx4168 said:
ekvh » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:57 am[/url]":37nx4168]With the higher and pull back bars. Not the look I wanted, but I gotta keep it comfortable and I like these for feel. I ended up moving the seat back an inch and down an inch with my chopping madness. It' plenty low for my artificial hip, and the " good " hip which will get replaced soon. I am pretty sure my suspension mods added height to ground clearance though.
Can anyone tell me why my pics are coming so small?
Small because that's the size of the image your attaching. Check your camera settings. It needs set to a higher resolution for larger pics.

Latest posts