1978 GL 1000 rear master cylinder help PLEASE.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donniebnd

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1978 GL 1000
1999 GL 1500
I rebuilt the rear master cylinder and its still leaking from the plunger. I'm leaning towards replacing it, what will work in its place without modifying a lot?
This bike has set for many years and I'm trying to have it road ready for my oldest son. So far I've spent over 2k in parts and have more to go, so trying to not to kill my budget.
Thank you
Donnie

If you rebuilt it correctly, it shouldn't leak. If there is scoring in the walls of the cylinder, even a new kit won't fix it. Often though, the rear piston seal was not installed properly or was installed dry and rolled from the correct position. Should be lubed with brake fluid. Chinabay MCs can be adapted to fit, but clean them first as they often are shipped full of dirt/swarf. BTW, did you check the relief or "splooge" hole open?

If you rebuilt it correctly, it shouldn't leak. If there is scoring in the walls of the cylinder, even a new kit won't fix it. Often though, the rear piston seal was not installed properly or was installed dry and rolled from the correct position. Should be lubed with brake fluid. Chinabay MCs can be adapted to fit, but clean them first as they often are shipped full of dirt/swarf. BTW, did you check the relief or "splooge" hole open?
I figured out that I had the seal with the hole in the center installed in the wrong place. Works now without leaking. However for future reference if I ever need to replace what will replace it?

Latest posts