1980 Interstate barn bird project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badwench

Reaction score
1980 1100 Interstate trying to restore. Ordered carb kit from Randakk's and was just finishing up. Somehow I LOST :head bang: (why-- I do not know) one of the small crossover tubes.
If anyone can help with one or point me in right direction I would be grateful. :beg:

I looked all over,thought I had one.I'm going to a salvage yard in a few weeks if you still havent found one I'll see if I can get one.I'd go sooner,but its around 70 miles.But I know for sure he's got quite a few parts bikes,wings.

Might find the right size tubing in steel or copper at a parts store or plumbing center? A little small can often be enlarged. A little big can be filed smaller.

Thanks AJ.
Yes Dave has been a life saver for me more than once on this journey I'm on. People like him make me keep going.
However, I'm not out of the woods yet. I cannot for my life get the idle jet port from the fuel bowl open on # 4. I've boiled it in water, tried brake cleaner, carp cleaner and about 100+ psi of air pressure and still no joy. :swoon: All the others were also plugged but was able to get them cleared.

Guess I should have made sure I could clean before ordering the rebuild kits.

Have you tried soaking them in carb cleaner.Autozone sells a gallon container.Comes with the basket for small parts.I think its around 15.99.Soak it a day or so.

Go to a welding supply or even Sears Hardware (or similar) and get a torch tip cleaner kit. This is a kit of wires attached to a base that have a file built into them if you will. They are used to clear an acetylene torch tip of heavy slag when they get clogged from blowing through steel.

https://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ABEPMCMAA#

:wave: Thanks all. tried again yesterday to clear -- no luck. As for tip cleaners I tried that yesterday also. It feels like I am going through the actual jet and when I go from air valve port it seems to go in as far as were the two meet. Today I'm going to measure how far I can get in the ones that are clear and compare to the plugged one.

Maybe what the tip cleaner is use for-- a cutting tourch or Flaming Hacksaw as I call them- is my on hope. :smilie_happy:

Well what goes up must come down and what goes in must come out. What I finally did was to take a # 6 X 1 5/8 fine thread drywall screw. I cut a piece of 1X2 board to use as a fulcrum or pry point for a pair of heavy duty terminal crimper pliers. Before trying to pull I measured how far in the top was, which I now know the bottom of the jet seats on the carb body. Knowing heat will cause expansion I took a heat gun --a glorified hair dryer--and heated up the one chamber housing the jet. I did not try to slowly pull it out, I just gave it one quick pull and it came out like a tooth. I might add I only tighten the screw about 1/4 turn.
After seeing how the jet is made which is much like the main jet holder with the small side ports and seeing how plugged they were I know I did the right thing. No way in the world could I have ever got any size or type wire through all 8 of the small holes. After cleaning jet and verifying all the related carb ports were open I took a small wooden dowel and taped in back into place.
Just wish I had known what it looked like to began with.
Being its too cold to go work on it some more this morning I'll share my other efforts. After I put all the carbs together I placed it on a level work bench and connected a hose to the fuel inlet and filled all the float bowls up. In doing so I found # 2 was set too high. Before adjusting, I drained each fuel bowl and measured it. What I found was the other 3 held 46 CCs of fuel and # 2 well exceeded that amount. I've not seen anything posted in regards to just how much is the correct amount but think it would be a way to verify float setting.

I next went and started the installation, the hardest part was keeping the intake O rings in place, to me the replacement ones are not near as fat as the old ones. I think now I should have used a dab of silicone or grease to hold in place.

Well I put the fuel to it and then when I tried to start it --nothing- never even popped or anything, then I remembered -- Spark plug wires stupid-- it's the age thing. :doh:
Tried again and varoooooooooommmmmm. :yahoo: Did not try to adjust as by that time it was miller time X 2. :beer: But also I don't want to run anymore before I take on and replace the timing belts.

I'm buying the timing belts from local NAPA store and will pick up today. Now I need to find a good How to, with photos on the replacement procedures.

Thanks all,
Jim

Hey well done Jim!

Now we know how much fuel should be in the bowls, that was a BIG question.

How was it putting the jet back in?
Did it seat tightly cold or did you heat the carb body first?

That is great news!

Out of curiosity, I have noticed the floats tend to go out of adjustment (mine were real bad). I really wonder how this happens????

I think the float level can change if the carb rack is jarred, maybe even while riding especially on rough roads. Doesn't take much to bend that tang.
I don't think they could change while sitting, has to be some outside influence.

Thanks for all :music: . However I must tell you as I posted in my intro post, the last bike I owned was a 305 Honda Dream and that was in the mid to 60's.
Now as for the amount of fuel, I do not no if 46CC's is the right amount so don't quote me.
On a different site after posting someone came back and said he set at 44.

Now if I can find time to find a "How to" with photos for the timing belts I will take that on for safety measures. After that I'll see how good it runs at that level.

Again , Thanks all

Jim

mcgovern61":1bglvt6f said:
That is great news!

Out of curiosity, I have noticed the floats tend to go out of adjustment (mine were real bad). I really wonder how this happens????

Could be a heat issue.Getting warm and cold.Letting the metal droop over time.And brass isnt as hard as metals like stainless.

1st, I I guess I should have started this topic in the Restoration section -- so if admin could move it it would be nice.

Have engine purring :Egyptian: - now I find trans is stuck in gear, I think 4th or 5th-- :Awe: oh well one more mountain to climb.

were do I start checking?

Thanks all

Jim

Latest posts