1980 Interstate barn bird project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try rocking the bike motor off and see if you can shift. If you can check clutch cable and adjustment.

i guess this sounds a little on the big sode now ...we need to figure this out soon and now ...great thats it running but it needs to shift out of gear ...check the gear lever to see if it is not moving the trans ..... :mrgreen:

Ok, still stuck in gear. I removed floorboards. Then I checked for clearance of the shifter parts. I also tried to rock with clutch out--no joy. Got bike on center stand :heat: and started and tried to shift but still stuck. It is like it is in 5th gear. Sometime I can get into neutral which might be what some call the second neutral. I next started it up and let clutch out and let it idle for about 10 minutes thinking heating the oil and all up might help -- it didn't.
I'm wondering if If adding something to the oil might help? Also considered to just drain the oil and fill the crankcase up with diesel , seafoam or something and let set.
Any thoughts? :help:

Thanks,
Jim
Oh, will try and get some photos posted this weekend.

Very unusual problem.

Since it won't shift rocking it engine off that narrows the problem down to shifter mechanism, shifter forks, or trans gears not sliding on their shaft.
I think for now your on the right track, hopefully something is frozen and will unstick. I would put in 4 qts of atf instead of diesal and let it soak while trying to get gears to change every day.
The trans is on the engine left bottom so left on the sidestand it will be immersed in atf.

yes fill the crankcase with ATF. You can still start it and work with it with that in there. Diesel and Seafoam aren't all that slippery and ignite easily. Don't want it exploding.

The trans is mechanical. I cannot for the life of me imagine enough grime or sticky oil that would cause it to get stuck in 5th? Bent shifter fork maybe? Engine off, rear wheel off the ground, gently rocking the wheel should easily allow the trans to shift up or down without using the clutch.

My '82 sat outside with a blown engine for 12 years in all kinds of weather, no oil, frozen clutch and was not moved for 12 years. We were able to easily shift gears by gently rocking the rear wheel on center stand and find neutral to get it on a trailer. (Again, there wasn't even any oil in it)

Dan, I don't have the HP to rock it that hard. I have also tried just pushing the tire back and forth when on stand with no luck. I would think if it was a bent fork I would have more movement when I try and shift.
I'm going to go ahead and drain the oil and add ATF for now. I do no that Seafoam makes a transmission additive that I may also use.

Will let you know what I come up with.

TKS
Jim
Salute to all my brothers and sisters in arms and thank you for your service.

Well it is still stuck in gear. Just going back to my original plan and R&R the timing belts. Will also pull front engine cover and see what that looks like--needed to check the water pump anyway to be on safe side.
I have new belts, T-stat and hoses. Would someone have the part number and source for the O ring kit for the front housing,
Thanks all
Jim

BTW Tks to Dan I did get a photo of Barnbird in the Gallery section, was not sure how to move here.

image.php

Well, finally found time to work on the bird. When I was getting ready to push it over to my enclosed shop--with a Grandsons help, out of habit I push down on shifter and felt a click. Went ahead and started and found I could now shift to 1st. :smilie_happy: Still pulled in shop as it has no brakes. Just glad it shifted at all- will still ck out every thing when I ck water pump.

badwench":30kk0cg5 said:
Well, finally found time to work on the bird. When I was getting ready to push it over to my enclosed shop--with a Grandsons help, out of habit I push down on shifter and felt a click. Went ahead and started and found I could now shift to 1st. :smilie_happy: Still pulled in shop as it has no brakes. Just glad it shifted at all- will still ck out every thing when I ck water pump.

Sweat, that's what we want to hear. progress :cool: :cool:

Latest posts