1981 GL 1100 tire choices

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
I did a little research for the guys that ride a 81, like myself.. I did this because it's a pain in the rear having to look up and pair up all these tires, I didn't get all of them but five sets, I was looking for sets or pairs so the treads match and everything is proper.View attachment 9View attachment 8View attachment 7View attachment 6View attachment 5View attachment 4View attachment 3View attachment 2View attachment 1 I know and understand that there are probably many more and I would invite anyone to add to the list,...Please try to keep them in sets or pairs, there are plenty of unpaired tires guy's could mix out there.. :shock: :clapping: Oh these tires are 110/90/19 for the front and 130/90/17 for the rear...Oh it's for 80's too... :smilie_happy:

Okay I can comment on my usage of 2 sets.. the shinko 712's set and the Kenda challengers.... in Dec 2009 had the 712's installed... rode daily to work about 250 miles/week did 2 Big Texas toy runs and a Breast cancer run and a trailer towing trip to Hannibal, MO on June 2010.. and in march of 2011 had to replace both.. which I did with the 6ply rated challengers.. well just under 6 months... the rear is completely worn out (tire born in July 2010).. I mean down to the cords.. and only did the Breast cancer run and a trailer trip to Colorado Springs... all rides based from Dallas TX.. I would be willing to give the Challengers a second shot but not right now... I have a Duro sport on the rear I am trying out..

Joep":1vjvu5dg said:
Okay I can comment on my usage of 2 sets.. the shinko 712's set and the Kenda challengers.... in Dec 2009 had the 712's installed... rode daily to work about 250 miles/week did 2 Big Texas toy runs and a Breast cancer run and a trailer towing trip to Hannibal, MO on June 2010.. and in march of 2011 had to replace both.. which I did with the 6ply rated challengers.. well just under 6 months... the rear is completely worn out (tire born in July 2010).. I mean down to the cords.. and only did the Breast cancer run and a trailer trip to Colorado Springs... all rides based from Dallas TX.. I would be willing to give the Challengers a second shot but not right now... I have a Duro sport on the rear I am trying out..
Who makes Duro Sport tires? And thanks for the reviews, that's what I was hoping for when I posted this.. If you were a fish you just got caught.. :smilie_happy:

Thanks Beave!! Saved me a lot of looking, since I now have to buy another new rear tar. I am leaning toward the Bridgstones....

AApple":aevigl30 said:
Thanks Beave!! Saved me a lot of looking, since I now have to buy another new rear tar. I am leaning toward the Bridgstones....
I was so unaware that the 404's were for cruising...Wow :shock: ..Thata learn me.. I really like the Bridgestones too or maybe the Continentals....I wanted Avons but I can't seem to find a matching set, oh I found a rear, and even a front their not matching, in Pirelli's too..If you notice the Bridgestones say Sport Touring, yep that's what I'm looking for..

Gerry(macgovern) has been praising the Bridgstones for several years....he's put a LOT of miles on his, and seems to be really pleased with them. I personally have an aversion to Bridgstone/Firestone tars, but, I might make an exception in this case. :yes:

AApple":2ti64a4k said:
Gerry(macgovern) has been praising the Bridgstones for several years....he's put a LOT of miles on his, and seems to be really pleased with them. I personally have an aversion to Bridgstone/Firestone tars, but, I might make an exception in this case. :yes:
I had bridgestones on my Nomad, they came stock, they didn't last so long, good tires but a bit gummy for me, but the Nomad was one heavy bike and me on top of it, geez...Poor tires.. they were still good tires, I would bet the S11 are way better tires.. If Gerry says there good, I believe him and trust him...You'll never really know until you try it for yourself....That's my moto..

Yes I use Bridgestone Spitfire S11's and I really like them. Here is my front tire as of 10 minutes ago. It was installed 11/8/2007 and has 15,472 miles on it:
Tires 003.jpg

It still has tread depth that is over 1/4" deep. I will be replacing it next spring because it will be almost 5 years old per manufacturer dates.

The rear tire had 13,442 miles on it when I replaced because I got a tear in it most likely from road debris.
Tire Crack 2.JPG
Tire Crack 1.JPG

joedrum":38bto7sa said:
gerry rides on clouds .....his tires never touch the road ...... :cheeky:
C'mon Joe....that '83 engine is a rocket! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I don't really ride on clouds....but I have had to blow my horn at a few airplanes that crossed in front of me! :smilie_happy:

weight rating is the main selling point for me. next is ply rating.
I really like the looks of the S11 raised white letters.

I'm disappointed with the dunlops after 3000 miles mostly 2up the rear is cupped and worn down the center badly. also cracks in tread.
and to boot, when the local shop mounted the tires they replaced my nice right angle chromed valve stems with cheapy rubber straight valve stems.. makes it hard to check pressure

I have a better shop for the tires now. the next set will be done right.

littlebeaver":1en0cthf said:
Well, that's at least three of us with issue's with the D404's....
Make it 4 I had a front 404 sidewall start cracking after about a year and a half.

Another tire that will fit the 80 and 81 is the Shinko Tour Master 230 and it is designed for the added weight of the Wing.
Next tires for me will either be the Spitfire or the Tour Master I've heard good things about both.

kah92340":1n3xz235 said:
Make it 4 I had a front 404 sidewall start cracking after about a year and a half.

This should be enough of a hint to stay away from the 404's.

They are not rated to carry the weight of these bikes, maybe ok for a naked but not dressed.

Ya...if I remember cerektaly, they are rated at just about the full weight of a bare bike....I shudda known. I do now, anyway. :read:

kah92340":23vzdqp7 said:
littlebeaver":23vzdqp7 said:
Well, that's at least three of us with issue's with the D404's....

Another tire that will fit the 80 and 81 is the Shinko Tour Master 230 and it is designed for the added weight of the Wing.
Next tires for me will either be the Spitfire or the Tour Master I've heard good things about both.
Oh yeh, that's exactly what I'm after here, I was hopeing that guy's would step up and find more sets, I didn't see that one...Thanks, cool... And it's a touring tire too guy's, yes.. :Egyptian: