1983 linked brakes and MC I'm curious

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scdmarx, I apologize I just re-read you post above and you clearly state you stopped inches before the vehicle...I gotta stop that speedreading crap, and caffine...

mcgovern61":1t8feqw2 said:
If you get an '82 front MC and rear MC, that will work fine becuase they were not linked and the '82's and '83's used the same calipers and pads.
I've heard this is true I. Most cases, but the '82 and '83 Aspy's I have are different. They look for all the world to be the same, but the 82 calipers won't bolt on the front of my 83.
I've got some pics of the differences, i'll have to put them up.

Also, the hoses for the front of the 82 are too short to work on the 83. The TRAC system on the 83 gives the calipers a slightly different mount point than on the 82.
Was going to get some hoses made, but didn't bother when I found the calipers wouldn't go on.

My 2nd bike is a '02 VFR800. It has the newer version of Honda's LBS. It works fine, but given the right set of parts, I'd happily unlink it. If for. O other reason than. Leading the new system is a royal pain. To do it right, it takes close to an hr.

i delink my 83 /i used a whole brake assy from my 83 gl650 / every thing bolted rigth on /the rear i just took off the splitter and just put a inline connecter on :Egyptian: :rocks: /

According to the service manual, there is not difference in the 82 and 83 front master cylinders but there is a difference in the rear.

You would not have to get a splitter to make it work on the front. You could get a second line and use a double banjo bolt on the master cylinder.

1talltxn, I have a 2008 VFR. I really like the linked brakes on my VFR. Not so much on the wing.

to me the linked brakes is one of the reasons I have 3 '83's. The link is equal to modern Anilock brakes that EVERY new car has. If you want more stopping power get a bigger MC. Hydrolic pressure IS the stopping force. I am thinking of linking my silverwing when I finish it.

^^ I want the ability to control the front and rear independently.
Hydraulic pressure is part of the braking force equation, as are pad material, rotor construction, master cylinder sizing and total swept area. Bike size isn't much of a factor as it applies to stopping ability.
I, like many, don't agree with Mother Hondas decision to link the brakes; hence the discussion in forums like this on how to undo it... I found a company to drill and resurface the rotors at a fair price (TrueDisc LLC) and another to supply S/S brake lines (H-E-L USA). Along with the EBC pads, I should be as good as I can get with existing equipment.

Here is something I found that has not been discussed. 30+ yo bikes with low miliage that are restored and rebuilt and MC is rebuilt and calipers reworked but did anyone mention the splitter? They get just as bad as MC and cleaning them out made a BIG difference in Bella.

mortiki":3pfax5xe said:
Here is something I found that has not been discussed. 30+ yo bikes with low miliage that are restored and rebuilt and MC is rebuilt and calipers reworked but did anyone mention the splitter? They get just as bad as MC and cleaning them out made a BIG difference in Bella.
Very good point! :thanks:

It is a couple of orifices like the MC has that can build up crap when sitting for long periods. I cleaned it with SS wire.