1985 LIMITED ALTENATOR CONVERSION ISSUES

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WEBBY

Reaction score
I HAVE A 1985 LIMITED AND DID THE POOR BOY KIT WITH A SINGLE WIRE ALTENATOR CONVERSION. THINGS SEEM TO BE WORKING BUT THE BATTERY GOES DEAD WHEN IT SETS FOR ABOUT TWO OR THREE WEEKS. ALSO THE STARTER DRAGS WHEN THE BIKE IS WARMED UP
(ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS ISSUE). I SEEN SEVERAL OF YOU ADDED A RELAY TO CORRECT THE BATTERY DISCHARGE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE FOUND A RELAY RATED FOR 50 AMPS.

Many of the headlight or add on light relays at the auto parts stores are rated at 50 amps and even higher. Starter dragging warmed up could be a grounding issue or could indicate a need to get in and clean and grease it. You might want to post an intro of yourself in the new members section. Let the good folks here bid you welcome aboard.

Thanks all. I was confused on posting an intro but got it taken care of. Thanks for the info on the relay. Bought one but i thought it would have some type of instructions on what wires connected where. Talked to a electrician and he told me how he thought it should hook up but that did not work. The altenator charges when connected to the battery but through the relay nothing. The relay did buzz when I shut the bike off until I disconnected the battery. Any ideas.

I will try to get some pics posted on the relay but I am just learning how to use this site.

Okay on the relay there should be two connections to activate the coil of the relay. Usually indicated with a symbol that looks like a spring. That should be connected to hot from the ignition switch on one side and ground to the other side. This will keep it active whenever the bike is "on". The alternator single wire would then go through the other two terminal to the battery. In one side and out the other. This way whenever ignition is on the relay connects the alternator to the battery.

Latest posts