30amp fuse getting Hot

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle_Jesse

Reaction score
My Bike Models
78 gl1000
Have 78 gl1000 I recently came across.
This green 30amp fuse to the right of the battery, gets hot, too hot to the touch....when it does, it kills the bike....once it cools down, Cranks right back....also, when I move it around, or take it in or out, it arcs as I push it into place.....any info will help, im new to this, thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20230609_210401.jpg
    20230609_210401.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
That is a marine grade fuse holder so I'd think it should be good quality. The fuse is the main for the whole bike so it will get hot.
I'd solder the connections for now and keep an eye on it.

Looking at your pictures, those butt connectors are not the right size for the wire plus there is exposed wire coming out of those connectors. Blue butt connectors are only good to 14 gauge wire. The wire coming from the fuse is 12 gauge. There is a good chance the wire strands were snipped to get the wire to fit into the butt connector which creates high resistance. You should not have butt connectors in that wire at all since it is the main power feed for the bike.

Fuse wiring.JPG