7v. reg. removal/install - with Fairing?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its time to get the 7v reg swapped out in the inst. cluster. I'm sick of its intermittent ways....

I pulled one from another speedo cluster - hoping it is good. Can I test it somehow? Or is there an upgrade?

I'm wondering if I should loosen the bolts on the speedo cluster to the tripple tree pull it up a bit so I can get at the back of the speedo or do I take the windshield and instrument housing off the fairing?

Or both?

Is there slack in the cabling to the speedo cluster allowing it to move up and out a bit to get at the back of it? Or do I need to disconnect a few things?

I think I could remove the back panel in place - getting it back together is another story.
Anybody do this with the fairing on? Or did you take the fairing off (alot bigger job no?)?

I am trying to save some time if possible....

There IS an upgrade that will eliminate all future issues with the 7V regulator...
Click here:
https://www.goldwingdocs.com/Store/Goldw ... ulator.asp

Scott makes them and he stands behind his product!

As far as removing the fairing goes... personal preference will dictate here.... if you have a large assortment of screwdrivers and tools, and are limber enough to do the necessary disassembly and swap out, then don't remove the fairing... If you have a workmate or sawhorse of the correct size and can't maneuver yourself into the tight spaces to do it without removing the fairing, then unbolt the fairing and rest it on the sawhorse rather than the fender and you won't have to disconnect any of the electrical doo-dads or connectors... just "skitch" it forward enough after unbolting it to get yer hands into the right places to remove the rear of the center instrument cluster..

BTW, Scott includes detailed instructions in his kit regarding the year of the bike that you need the regulator for...

good luck,

Rich

Getting to that regulator isn't simple on a full fairing bike but removing the windshield helps some so you can easier see behind the cluster. A mirror would come in handy here.
IIRC there are 4 cap nuts holding the cluster on. (Or it could be only 2)
After removing them the cluster will pull forward.
The wires and cables will limit how much so unscrewing the tach and speedo cables helps.
Now is a good time to replace all the bulbs and clean the inside of the indicator plastic while your in this far.

Rich:
did you put one of those in from Scott?

Dan I like the mirror idea. What kind of bulbs are those? Easy to get? They are working now, but as soon as I fix the reg. a bulb will probably burn out. Doh!

thanks

Yeah I started to do this one day...well, lets just say I decided to just put up with it's intermittent ways. It looks to me that one has to utterly and completely disassemble the entire center cluster to change that thing, every wire, every bulb, every everything... :Awe:

~O~

Sorry no, I haven't ordered one from Scott yet. I had replaced mine with one from mother Honda about 14 years or so ago when it happened to my '81... But I will have one of Scott's 7V regulators on hand when I need to change that one for sure...

Rich

Well... I have a new 7v regulator. I went with the recommendation of n2pp Rich - thanks.

I did have to swap out two of the connectors - they were slightly bigger on the new one. The builder was a bit surprised I had to do it.... would have worked but made for a better /easier fit.

I had to take off the windshield etc, middle dash, remove the air line connecting the forks, remove the speedo/tach in order to get to the back of the inst. cluster. I didn't want to remove the air line at first, but it became necessary eventually - the cluster will not come off the triple tree otherwise.

It works but what a big PITA!

Onward and upward - maybe a new stereo now...

thanks for the help!

Latest posts