81 GW 1100 runs way too rich

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135103#p135103:1emhiynq said:
joedrum » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:53 am[/url]":1emhiynq]
well if the problem is slight ..having open filter or non all should give clue if things are really bad ..but maybe it has float needle and seats that dont match up ...and is leaking gas this way constantly ...or like the slide needles are not right taper ... seems to be in this territory to get it through out rpm zone ....i am just throwing things out there to look at...many claim after market rebuild parts form some dont work good ..maybe these carbs were redone with bad parts at one time ....
I'm thinking the same.

Honda says just 1-2 mm too much gas in the float bowls will cause running rich.
I know there was one guy here that lowered the gas level a couple mm from stock setting which helped lean it. I had to do the same with one cylinder that ran very rich. It had a chrome looking needle valve, the others were brass.

Check your float bowl volume when they are full. Should be 52 CC`s in each...check that each individual float pod is level to the other, easy check is to make a float gauge out of heavy paper just measure the width you need(bowls edge) then the float height and make a sort of square C style gauge, if one float pod is lower or higher it will affect the fuel level...The fuel in the GL sits close to the intake throat, this is due to making the carbs as compact as possible so float height is critical.
Could also be your jets were drilled by the previous owner..If you have them out go to a parts store and look at any jet the same size and compare.
Could also be the plenum seal is leaking and feeding extra fuel to all 4 carbs. Plenum is the seal that you see when you look directly down the air cleaner passage, look for gas pooling along the crack in the center.
The accelerator pump circuit wont add fuel unless it is pumped in by the motion of the throttle so I wouldn't suspect it.
Also be sure the little float tip springs are extended and aren't stuck down, they should be able to compress without binding and spring back up..

thanks to you all , this forum has been extremely helpful , we haven't found the culprit yet but we've certainly gained a lot if information here to keep us going. I guess our next approach will be to examine the jets and once again check out the float levels .I'll keep you all informed of our progress.

question on the jets,,,,,the main jet is marked as a 145 and I think they are ok. But what does the 145 mean in mm or inches ?
the slow jet or idle jet should be a 35 , but they are not marked and I'm thinking they may be the problem. If they were Honda jets wouldn't they be stamped with a 35 like the main jets are stamped with a 145? Also where might I find 4 new or used 35 idle jets? and last but not least about how much does rendick get for the carb rebuild kit?

LOL ..way to much just settle down its not time to shoot yourself with rebuild kit from randakks LOL....his kits are just o rings and gaskets and no hardware....you could do a single carb build for the cost of his rebuild kit....there are cheaper and more complete kits out there that have jets in them

its getting to the point where fixing these stock carbs may be costly with not much bang for it at all ... at this point if it were me ..id be putting on a real carb weber set up ... and not only have reliable induction system ...but also one that hugely better ...lots of bang for the buck ... at some point the stock rack is just a bad deal to try and fix ...and i think you got a rack of them ....i would either fix the stock rack for next to nothing or trash the rack of junk carbs and go weber...i may bias to some ...im not ..i am bias to things that work great though :mrgreen: and dont like wasting my time :builder: :doh: :hihihi:

Thanks for the input , but I'm not through with the original set up yet . If I do give up and cave on Honda , does anybody have a Weber carb retrofit book for dummies?

it is here ...all the expert dummies are here and chat daily LOL ....this forum hes the best single carb info out there ... my bike in one of many....most think i am king dummy....thats ok ill take that ...i get to ride my dummy fast bike .....

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zfyan7izAc[/video]

there are many here with bikes and single setups here that can comment ...this is hooch bike ...i really enjoy owning and riding this bike :mrgreen:

As much as I like the single carb, I wouldn't give up on the stock rack yet.
With gas mileage so low and sooted plugs, it should be fairly obvious what the problem is, just haven't found it yet but follow the ideas from the posts above, you will get it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135129#p135129:rpwqgbaj said:
Lobo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:37 pm[/url]":rpwqgbaj]
question on the jets,,,,,the main jet is marked as a 145 and I think they are ok. But what does the 145 mean in mm or inches ?
the slow jet or idle jet should be a 35 , but they are not marked and I'm thinking they may be the problem. If they were Honda jets wouldn't they be stamped with a 35 like the main jets are stamped with a 145? Also where might I find 4 new or used 35 idle jets? and last but not least about how much does rendick get for the carb rebuild kit?
I seem to recall the keihin is measured in flow not in size so compare it with another keihin jet so forget about my comment of comparing to another jet (unless it is another Keihin jet).

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135129#p135129:4laf32wl said:
Lobo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:37 pm[/url]":4laf32wl]
I have jets from an 83 carb.
Stamped on them are 145 main, and 35 low speed.

Using my weber bits which are in mm, slow jet measures out to 1.35. Still trying to figure out the main, it is much smaller than a 1.45.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135149#p135149:2bb9zbn3 said:
dan filipi » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:24 am[/url]":2bb9zbn3]
The main I was measuring is clogged.
Another marked as 145 is in fact 1.45 mm.
Well if that is the case then maybe i`m confusing things, then the 35 would be .35mm...I wonder what carb I was thinking of?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135150#p135150:24hg1yx8 said:
zman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:38 am[/url]":24hg1yx8]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135149#p135149:24hg1yx8 said:
dan filipi » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:24 am[/url]":24hg1yx8]
The main I was measuring is clogged.
Another marked as 145 is in fact 1.45 mm.
Well if that is the case then maybe i`m confusing things, then the 35 would be .35mm...I wonder what carb I was thinking of?
No it's 1.35 mm not .35 mm, they dropped the '1'.

to all who responded to my "too Rich posting" thanks for all your input, I bought the randakks over haul kit and will let you all know how it goes. we've no heat in the garage so it might be a while .

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136075#p136075:11bcres1 said:
Lobo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:50 am[/url]":11bcres1]
to all who responded to my "too Rich posting" thanks for all your input, I bought the randakks over haul kit and will let you all know how it goes. we've no heat in the garage so it might be a while .
I'm sure there is room on the kitchen table or Dan's favorite spot "the top of the washer and dryer. " :?