'82 1100 made clacking noise then shut off

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'd pull the clutch pack. Check the basket for grooves. Check the plates for wear and correct order. Check the springs are in the proper position and serviceable. (not broken or collapsed). If all that looks good it's probably time to pull the motor and rear cover to see if the stator is in wrong.

Ok, I'm going in.
I drained the oil and coolant this morning.
Now I'm freed up, feeling lazy and hungry. I figured its the perfect time to pull an engine that I have no idea what I'm doing.

I figured whatever the problem is, the engine needs to come out...stator, clutch or just a busted engine.

I just pulled the radiator, the electricals and dropped the exhaust...about 45 minutes
Now for the fun part..... I'll check back in later.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134728#p134728:1kvm588g said:
dan filipi » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:21 pm[/url]":1kvm588g]
Tip:
Take the 8 bolts off the intakes at the heads and bungy up the carbs. No need to take the carbs out when pulling the engine.

I tied them up, but I'm at a stand still because I can't find my right angle pliers for the drive shaft. I'll hit autozone in the a.m. and finish pulling it. Someone has been in here before and forgot or decided that ALL of the nuts and bolts didn't need to go back. It was just a matter of time before something went "KA-pow".... Most of engine bolts were loose, the bolts holding no essential were super tight...lol

I'll keep y'all posted

Seems like you made a great decision to pull the engine! :good:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134800#p134800:3je28ms3 said:
dan filipi » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:16 pm[/url]":3je28ms3]
I'm real curious now what is jamming up.
My $ is on the starter clutch.

I'm going to open it up when i get back (in about 2 hours)

Ok, I really have to learn how to upload pictures.

The first thing that I seen was that the stator has several burn coils (I guess that's what they are called)
Next I noticed that there's 2 teeth looking things laying in the back cover that I layed on the ground. Then there was a few more laying in the area where the drive shaft goes. I'm at a stand still because I don't have the tool to take the clutch pack off. Ohhhhh., that lock washer for the clutch pack did/doesn't have any of the tabs bend down. (so it wasn't locking anything)

I hope the drive shaft is suppose to be able to be just pulled out because it just came out really easy.

If I can't buy the tool for the clutch tomorrow, I'll just make one (looks pretty simple)

It's those broken teeth (looking things) that must be causing my problem. The problem is that they are small enough that they could be anywhere.

I'll work on posting the pictures

Attachments

• broken teeth 1.JPG
    broken teeth 1.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 108
  • broken teeth 2.JPG
    broken teeth 2.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 104
  • broken teeth 3.JPG
    broken teeth 3.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 106
  • burnt stator.JPG
    burnt stator.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 110
  • naked goose.JPG
    naked goose.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 107
jerseydogg, check out THIS TUTORIAL on uploading pics to you personal gallery. It's fairly easy to do once you get a couple under your belt. Then you can post links, or pics in the post. :good:

I as curious as everyone else to see what you found in there! :builder:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134832#p134832:2npb801f said:
AApple » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:02 pm[/url]":2npb801f]
jerseydogg, check out THIS TUTORIAL on uploading pics to you personal gallery. It's fairly easy to do once you get a couple under your belt. Then you can post links, or pics in the post. :good:

I as curious as everyone else to see what you found in there! :builder:

I was trying to upload photos from my phone. But I think I have it. I just uploaded some pics, Let me know what you think.

I think The Blue Goose got into a fight with Mike Tyson, because there's loose teeth all over the place...lol

I'm not sure, but they sure look like starter teeth??? I'm going to have to look at my '81 engine to find where those teeth came from! :shock:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134836#p134836:3knbcjyr said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:36 pm[/url]":3knbcjyr]
I'm not sure, but they sure look like starter teeth??? I'm going to have to look at my '81 engine to find where those teeth came from! :shock:

Starter teeth, as in starter clutch? Isn't that behind the stator?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134838#p134838:g59uwo07 said:
jerseydogg » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:52 pm[/url]":g59uwo07]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134836#p134836:g59uwo07 said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:36 pm[/url]":g59uwo07]

Starter teeth, as in starter clutch? Isn't that behind the stator?
No, teeth from a starter. I will go check my stuff and see if I can match those teeth. (I know I have seen them before, but they were always attached to a gear!) :hihihi:

I have a bad feeling that they are transmission gear teeth. I hope not, but that's what I see. The GL starter has a sprocket, so the teeth would be very thin and pointed.

That rear cover has been off before, the gasket is not original.

I do not mean the teeth are "from the starter", just that is what they look like. The starter teeth are way too small. Those are broken gear teeth from something. On the right side of the engine, there is a cover that comes off that allows you to pull the final drive gear (it will just fall out with the cover off). Pull the gear and inspect it for damage and then look up into the transmission area to see if you can see any broken teeth.

Latest posts