'82 1100 made clacking noise then shut off

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does look like new gears are needed. I would really like to know how that was accomplished.Any chance it was ridden by an aspiring dragster?

id say trans is okay .. the teeth are rip off so good at output ...there had to be firm footing back that way .. night be a chain broke but i doubt it ... there is a a clean out cover in the crancase area on side of motor .... to flush out and look for pieces of the gear ...should be able to check out trans and by hand now that motor is out ...not sure at the momant what it takes to replace that gear ... probably motor split ...sheesh ...could be something locked up trans and with the load on the rear wheel .. that gear had to shear ...no give anywhere ... to bad the out put cam drive just didnt keep slipping

Welcome to Classics from PA!

When you figure out what went wrong and what is needed, don't be afraid to ask for it. Lots of spare parts just laying around waiting for a new home...

Lookin like trans gear teefers to me, too. :crying: Those pieces are right where the output shaft splines into the transfer gear of the trans. The transfer gear itself appears to still have all it's teefers, so....the broken gear must be farther down in the trans assembly.....dangit. :rant:

Some might say at this point you might be better off finding another engine...Not me, as long as you know it was running good and quiet prior to this.
I have been through 3 used engines trying to get a good one. You are better off opening it up and fixing it, especially since Gerry is close by to help.

I definitely appreciate all the help. I won't be able to do anything else to the bike until I get back (probably Friday). To be honest, I'd like to pick up a good used motor, slap it in do I can ride for now. The when I get back to Louisiana (about 2 weeks) I can still ride while I'm taking my time going through this motor.

Half the bolts on the back side of the motor were finger tight. 2 were completely missing. Who knows what else was half put on or missing in the inside.

What are y'all thoughts?

I like how you are thinking. After finding loose/missing bolts I would be more concerned with what else was also done by the PO the last time he was in there. Besides, motors are realatively cheap and then you have a spare when you get yours rebuilt.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134953#p134953:2iti8k95 said:
brianinpa » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:39 am[/url]":2iti8k95]
I like how you are thinking. After finding loose/missing bolts I would be more concerned with what else was also done by the PO the last time he was in there. Besides, motors are realatively cheap and then you have a spare when you get yours rebuilt.

Yea, that's the Seabee in me.

Hey Jersey, if you decide to go that route, I could help over the winter to get that engine back up to speed. With two engines sitting in pieces, I am sure I have enough good parts to make a good running engine. The pieces are just taking up space at this point!

Otherwise, maybe a trip to Glassboro to see your buddy is in order for a different engine?

BTW, don't forget to start a new thread about the transport service you talked about last weekend! Might be members interested. :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134962#p134962:1bouudj3 said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:40 am[/url]":1bouudj3]
Hey Jersey, if you decide to go that route, I could help over the winter to get that engine back up to speed. With two engines sitting in pieces, I am sure I have enough good parts to make a good running engine. The pieces are just taking up space at this point!

Otherwise, maybe a trip to Glassboro to see your buddy is in order for a different engine?

BTW, don't forget to start a new thread about the transport service you talked about last weekend! Might be members interested. :yes:

I'll be headed back to Louisiana in about 2 weeks. I'll be back up Christmas time but the bike will be in Louisiana (hopefully). I'll check to see if I can get a motor out of glassboro.

I'll also check online to see if there's a motor between jersey and Louisiana I can pick it up on the way back.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll start a new transport thread.

Latest posts