82 1100i Resto - Seeking help

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chitreano

Reaction score
I have a 1982 GL1100i that I have dismantled to the frame for the ominous duty of repairing the center stand mounting bracket that welds to the frame. Fun, fun. I plan to inspect, repair and paint the frame. I am also planning to restore or replace any parts that need it. I have read that with the engine out there are some other steps that I should take since I have gone this far. Would those of you who have done this be so kind as to jot down what you recommend doing prior buttoning this animal back up? Thanks in advance. If you could give vendors along with items to replace that would be great and appreciated. The bike was sitting in a garage for 5 years so gaskets are questionable.

I plan to replace or rebuild the following:
Water pump - Unsure of the condition
Fuel pump - diaphragm is bad & will be replaced.
Stator - Unsure of the condition
Carbs - Condition unknown

What else?

Engine out is a good time to:

Inspect the clutch plates and basket. Repair/replace as needed.
I'd go as far as to pull the big rear cover to check the scavenger pump is clear and not plugged. I had one plugged.

Check the ignition pickups and advance mechanism. On the pickups the wire insulation can get frayed exposing wire.
The mechanical advance and back rotating plate can get rusted and not rotate freely.
Vacuum advance diaphragm could be leaking too. There is no replacement except for used but likely will leak also. Otherwise mod in one from a car. Not an easy mod.

Do these tests on the stator....starting at "Stator test (all models)"
(click to the gallery for a larger pic)

Thanks Dan, I assume the continuity test as described and be done on the 82 with the engine out.

BTW. I took the liberty to transfer the document you referred to to Word format. I can also get it to you in PDF if you like.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144070#p144070:9qo15j2e said:
Chitreano » 59 minutes ago[/url]":9qo15j2e]
Thanks Dan, I assume the continuity test as described and be done on the 82 with the engine out.

BTW. I took the liberty to transfer the document you referred to to Word format. I can also get it to you in PDF if you like.
Thanks but no need. I converted to an image from a pdf for display in the gallery.

When you go to put it all back together. Be sure you clean and tighten all of the wiring connectors and use plenty of dielectric grease.
Grease the drive shaft splines and all moving parts like brake pedal.

if it was me id just get it rumnning first....so i could know what i had ...if motor is good and free id take timing covers off so motor can be turn by hand with crank bolt...to see if belt are tension and timed right ... stator can be check motor in water pump can be check for wobble by just take lower hose cover off ...connections can be cleaned also with motor in frame ...if something proves bad at least you will know for sure its bad ....carbs might be the big thing to get right ...spark is easy to chech too motor in ... and with plugs out ..starter and all can be ran under not much load to free up and put some spay lube in cylinders to lube and clean up and get running smooth ...just saying lots of things can be check ..motor comes out if it has and for a known purpose in how id do it ... but you might be fine ...

Latest posts