82 GL1100 runninig like crap (cont.)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave

Reaction score
Hi all, be afraid, be very afraid, I"M BACK :cool:

While back I posted that Rhonda the Honda wasn't feeling her normal smooth yet strong self, like crap below 4000 rpm to be real :?:

Well, we have now, Fitted new spark plugs, cleaned all contacts (inc. bolts to earth) of the coils, fitted new 6mm copper core plug wires (2,3,4 are 425mm 1 is 415mm long), reconected accel. pump, and have a very low opinion of 1 tank of juice (gas) ((c'mon you blokes learn some english yeh :head bang: ))
I don't know for certain what fixed her because it was about 200 klm later she "just came good"
I suspect it was the plug wires, mostly #2 which was only just making contact as installed 28 years ago and now very black and green with age finnaly failing :fiddle: This would have carboned / crudded up the valves preventing a seal and taken a little time (about 200 klm ?) to clear maybe, at a guess, maybe, or maybe I'm just guessing
Either way she's running like a Emu in front of a Brown Snake now :music:
Thanks to all for all the input back then and sorry I don't remember who had the idea with the plug wires and I do mean I'm sorry cause I rekon you nailed it, thanks mate :good:

Dave":34t69yzs said:
...Either way she's running like a Emu in front of a Brown Snake now :music:

Now there's a visual!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Glad she's runnin well for ya, Dave! :clapping:

Hi Aapple
Emu - flightless bird, up to 7 foot tall, brain size = smaller than a peanut ("mates for life" dad gets raw end of deal, she drops the eggs, he incubates the eggs then raises the young then she comes back and they do it again,)

Brown Snake aka King Brown, Desert Brown, Eastern Brown - up to 12 foot (or 15 foot if you belive most of what you read) Not just the land of Oz here folks, this is world ranking stuff we get into now. WORLDS most deadly snake. :read:

well dave im glad you finaly got your bike up to snuff ...i was begining to miss your down under humor and correct metric nut size schooling ....

dave i just got an 82 standard last week and im totaly thrilled with it.....

dang wires why would they go bad after only 28 yrs ...... :smilie_happy: :Doh2: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

joedrum":1djko2xc said:
well dave im glad you finaly got your bike up to snuff ...i was begining to miss your down under humor and correct metric nut size schooling ....

dave i just got an 82 standard last week and im totaly thrilled with it.....

dang wires why would they go bad after only 28 yrs ...... :smilie_happy: :Doh2: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Hey Joe, HheYYY Joe, (I never tire of singing that, old Jimmy H fan :music2: )
How are ya man?

For anybody thats new(ish) round here Joe rides (or useto ride) what we know as the Johnny Cash Special, it's a 79,80,81,82 model Wing (I think?) :smilie_happy: :grin: :cool: :music: :good: :salute: :beer: :party: :salute: :cool:

boy you have been away im putting in a 86 1200 to add to the bloodline dave ....in fact im right in the middle of the muck swamp trying to get to solid ground
on this project .....it was just to inviting not to jump .....now that i got another ride to fall back on....

joedrum":1aqsfr45 said:
boy you have been away im putting in a 86 1200 to add to the bloodline dave ....in fact im right in the middle of the muck swamp trying to get to solid ground
on this project .....it was just to inviting not to jump .....now that i got another ride to fall back on....

Sooooo now it's a 79 80 81 82 86 model
"an when we put it all together that's we noticed the head lights, we had 2 on the left and 1 on the right and when we pulled out the switch all 3 came on." :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: "but up at the court house they didn't laugh cause to type it up took the hole darn staff and when they finnished the title weighed 60lb" :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I recommended the wires.Same goes for you other guys with almost 30(!) year old plug wires;nothing last forever and there cheap and easy to replace.My bike suddenly came alive after changing em too.Change the plug caps when your at it,they have built in resistors that also don`t last forever!

Latest posts