82 Interstate makeover

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the crosstube replaced and also some parts sandblasted and powder coated.
First I cut a fishmouth in the tubing with a bi-metal hole saw, then ground down the ends to fit each side.
jan25gw (2).JPG

jan25gw (1).JPG

jan25gw (3).JPG

jan25gw (4).JPG

jan25gw (5).JPG

jan25gw (7).JPG

jan25gw (9).JPG

It is ready to blasted and powder coated. Here are some pics of some finished products.
jan25gw (14).JPG

jan25gw (11).JPG

jan25gw (10).JPG

thats some :shock: :Egyptian: :popcorn: :eek:k: :mrgreen: of the sharpest work ive ever seen ...you are quite the doer it easy for me to tell you have farming background ....i have no doubt that your project is going accross the finish line in style....the way you went about it is better than original frabrication ....the powder coating looks exceotional ....great work your going to have quite the admirers here ....me for sure ....i wish i could fund my projects as completely as you are doing ....

keep the pics coming as you along :mrgreen:

Thanks joedrum, I really appreciate the compliments. By posting here I hope I can help someone else with some tips. Farming all my life I have picked up a lot of info from others. I am by far not even close to as skilled as some of the guys I know. I've got a neighbor who I swear could build a tractor out of a trampoline and make it look factory. I'm pretty much the prototypical "jack of all trades and master of none" :smilie_happy: but to make a profit in farming, you better know a few things. I have seen a few guys go broke paying a dealership do things my 14 y.o. daughter could do. :builder:

Since I've posted these pictures, I ran into another snag. Stay tuned

I have a local guy that blasts and powdercoats. I don't know what he is going to charge me on my wing. Just an example though, he sandblasted a tool cabinet for me inside and out and powdercoated inside and out. Cabinet is 2' by 2' by 18" tall. Cost me $40 He blasts in an old shed, and his oven is in a detached garage. Pretty low overhead. This is the only thing that keeps food on his table, so a lot of us locals try to keep him busy.

captaindan":2gzicvvb said:
I have a local guy that blasts and powdercoats. I don't know what he is going to charge me on my wing. Just an example though, he sandblasted a tool cabinet for me inside and out and powdercoated inside and out. Cabinet is 2' by 2' by 18" tall. Cost me $40 He blasts in an old shed, and his oven is in a detached garage. Pretty low overhead. This is the only thing that keeps food on his table, so a lot of us locals try to keep him busy.
Wow! I wish I was more local to him! Might be worth shipping parts for powder coating at that price!

Here's my new snag. :sensored:
Blasted some new holes in a thin spot. This looks like the last one trouble area. At least its not the tubing. It didn't show any hint until after it was blasted. I checked my old frame and it is rusted in the same spot. There is no exit on the bottom for moisture and dirt. But a darn nice entrance at the top of the gusset.
rust spots (1).JPG

rust spots (2).JPG

rust spots (6).JPG

rust spots (7).JPG

rust spots (8).JPG

ive never been impressed with the wing frames in workmanship at all but like you i have a huge farming backgroumd and things like this look chincy to me ....the left side is side stand side and a lot of oldwing frames do this ...i guess it lower when it sits for yrs and it drains that way ...mufflers tend to rust on that side and be good on the otherside...well like i said before im sure this going to be better than original fabrication ...all those overstress stamping plates and hollows was insane engineering is all i got to say but all bikes seem to be made that way ...like garunteed to rust

I'm looking for recommendations for rebuild kits for the forks and rear shocks. I think I have read a lot of support for OEM on the forks, does that hold true for the rear shocks?

well i cant advise on best seal parts to get ....but make sure you get busching for the front also ...if there sloppy no seals will last .....the rears spring sould be replaced with progressive springs the front to ...these mods realy improve these oldwings with the air assist they came stock with rather weak springs ....

The frame is getting a fresh new powdercoat. :yahoo: FYI, I checked my old frame and it too was rusted in this area. I can't stress enough that there were no signs until it was blasted. If your fixing a frame check this area. This is stamped metal and very thin.
frame rust (Small).JPG

frame rust (1) (Small).JPG

frame rust (2) (Small).JPG

frame rust (3) (Small).JPG

frame rust (5) (Small).JPG

Many thanks for the compliments. Not really hard work but kind of time consuming. I've accumulated a lot of tools over the years and that makes it easier. I really have a weakness for tools. I can justify (in my mind any way) every tool I have. :smilie_happy: I really admire the guys that can do the same stuff with just basic tools. :salute: