82 Interstate makeover

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaindan

Reaction score
I've seen requests for pictures so here ya go. I need some help/suggestions for the removable frame piece on the left side. As you can see, it is rusted in the middle. When I removed it I noticed 3 rusty pinholes, went after it with my chipping hammer and found it to be very thin.

I'm thinking I need to find another one so suggestions please. Is this a common problem? Has anyone attempted a repair? I need to go over the rest of the frame with a fine tooth comb, but I haven't noticed any other glaring problems. I know where the center stand mounts has caused trouble, but mine seems to be solid.

I would like to sandblast and powdercoat the frame. Does anyone know if you can get replacement decals for the frame?

I'm going to have a lot of questions in the next several months. :builder:

Attachments

• 1100 wing (14).JPG
    1100 wing (14).JPG
    145 KB · Views: 355
  • 1100 wing (2).JPG
    1100 wing (2).JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 352
  • wing 1100 (4).jpg
    wing 1100 (4).jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 349
  • 1100 wing (1).JPG
    1100 wing (1).JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 353
  • 1100 wing (12).JPG
    1100 wing (12).JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 354
your bike looks a lot like some of mine :hihihi: the motor mount frame section could be fixed maybr by a realy competant welder....or replaced ...you will have to be the judge there ....looks like your in in full restore mode for sure looks good to me how your going about it :mrgreen:

i have a number of replaceable frame sections that are in very excellent shape. if you want to go the replace it route, let me know and i will sell you one very resonable.

Thanks cyborg, if you can pm me and let me know some details. I could spend a lot of time repairing. The salvage yard I talked to said this is not uncommon. FYI, checked with my local dealer and I can still get the part new, of course pricey, but you can't get it in black. He said it's another color, but he didn't know what color. Maybe it's just primed.

Also, I think I found a place that has the frame decals. Need to do more research. Thanks guys.

Definitely joedrum, I was pretty sure I would end up here. Every time I dig into something it seems I can't stop digging. Definitely want to get parts sandblasted and powdercoated. I have a local guy that does this very reasonable.

bk2valve":pf0jvhbd said:
Captain Dan, when I had my frame media blasted and powdercoated, the guys masked my decals and headplate off and it worked very well....
Brian

Thanks for the info........I will talk to my guy, I just assumed the oven would bake them.

I ran into this problem. This is on the right front, lower side of the frame. Frame is upside down. My idea was to cut out the infected area and weld in a patch from a like or similar frame. Good or bad idea? Replacing the entire section or frame would be the only other option I could see. Man I don't like the idea of that.

1100 frame (1) (Small).JPG

i would strip the frame down to bare metal, and see what you have. a spot like that can be patched pretty easy buy cuting it out and replacing it with a piece of metal tubing, or by covering it with a patch and welding it to the good metal around it. however i would think that the inside of the frame has rust in other places. i would cover the inside with a rust preventative while you had it open.

I'm quite sure there is rust inside, but to what extent I don't know. I went over the whole frame with my chipping hammer and found no other spots. That's doesn't ease my fears though. I am going to sandblast the frame, but don't want to waste my time if it beyond repair.

I'm hoping there is enough good material to just cut an area around the rust and replace with a patch. Cutting out the whole section could turn into a nightmare. I would need to cut on the straight runs to install a reinforcement inside. If I do that, I would also need to cut the cross member on the front. I kind of wanted to shy away from that, but it may come to that.

My opinion only.....there is rust in the frame that you cannot see, but the rust (and holes) that you can see are tell tale. It is unlikely you will be able to stop the rust inside the frame....although it could be slowed down. You do not know how much metal is left. Yes you can piece together the frame with new pieces, but each new welded section stresses the older steel at the welds. This frame takes all of the abuse and weight of the bike going down the road at high speed!

For my money, I would consider a good frame from Ebay and not take a chance on that kind of rust. Just my opinion and the direction I would take.

Although a good skilled welder can do a very good job on patching what can be seen it's the rust working it's way out that can't be seen, that's what I'd be constantly worried about going down the road.
Though what we see in a picture may not look as bad in person, judging by the removable section rust also I would find a good frame.

if i had no other frame id weld it up ...being on a cruved place like it is ...you could cut slot down the frame wide enough to slip im a a piece of flat metal that has some thickness 1/8-3/16 custom fit to the curve on the otherside of frame and weld it in ...when i use to farm i had to do all kinds of extreme welding deals to keep big tractors from tearing thigs right back up ..and thats just one method there are many things that would work there ...you just dont want to cut it completely into so it will hold its shape and you dont want weld long beads either as this will weaken the metal ...short weld and lots of pinging with the chipping hammer or as i always called it hammer forgeing ...

on the other hand i have all kinds of exsperince in welding things that dont break afterwards and maybe not the words to explane how good

My big concern is exactly some of the points made. Where is the rust going to come through next. Of course if I get a used frame, how can I tell that it's not ready to rust through.
I'm not sure patching is the answer, but if I cut and replace, and dowel the joints with tubing or a solid shaft, I'm thinking that would be sturdy. Of course I would again need to find a frame to replace the section so I guess what's the point.
How can I be assured of getting a good frame?
I to have done a lot of welding on the farm, but never on something between my legs doing 60 or 70 mph when it comes apart! :shock:
Man, the frame is the last thing in my mind I thought would give me trouble. Glad I caught in though.

personally I'd weld it up. Maybe drill holes on the frame and squirt in a rust stop/converter to preserve what is left. Then seal off the holes with bolts or setscrews.

slabghost":2o5cv29r said:
personally I'd weld it up. Maybe drill holes on the frame and squirt in a rust stop/converter to preserve what is left. Then seal off the holes with bolts or setscrews.

I would really prefer to if I can make it right. I want to exhaust all possibilities before I even consider a frame replacement. I'm just trying to determine the best way to do it.

Same here :yes: would go for another frame.That was some awsome digging on your part :smilie_happy: Great play room and pics. :thank_you: :thank_you: :thank_you: Keep'em comming :thank_you: