83 GL1100I Swing Arm

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbo

Reaction score
I’m in the process of restoring a great old Wing. While riding yesterday I felt what I thought was the center stand hitting under the frame. I’ve ruled that out. I’m still concerned about what it could be. Swing arm ? Do I have to tear the whole rear end apart to figure this out. And if so, are bearings and bushings, and everything else I’ll need to make it like new again, available? Wheel and tire seems fine. Although, if I have to tear it down, I’d also like to replace the wheel bearings and tire, even though tire has a lot of life left on it. I hate to do shit twice. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 516804B9-D1BE-4E1A-923F-3C1BF0926454.jpeg
    516804B9-D1BE-4E1A-923F-3C1BF0926454.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 168
You will likely need to install new Progressive Springs in the rear shocks. New front Progressive Springs would be a good idea too.
Here is a video showing how to do the rear shocks at home without paying a fortune to a bike shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fKe5QglIQY
I did the front springs in my 81 GL1100 3 years ago, and I'm doing my rear shocks now. I got the same little bump that you mentioned, 2 weekends ago, and knew it was finally time to overhaul the rear shocks, lol! -Graves-

Thanks everyone for the advice, I’ve checked everything out very carefully and determined that it has to be in the rear shocks. Bushings are good. I’ve ruled out the centerstand. Over the weekend I replaced the front fork springs with progressive springs, noticeably better. I’ve ordered a new set of rear shocks. Getting rid of the air ride all together. No play in the swing arm at all. I’m convinced it’s the rear shocks. I’ll keep you all posted. I’m looking forward to this old Wing handling like I know it can and will. Thanks again for the help.

Note that the rear shocks should be rebuildable with Progressive springs.

A pair of springs run around $100, and the rebuild kit runs around $35, IIRC. One sign of sagging rear shocks with tired springs is that the bike is hard to get on the center stand.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211199#p211199:2xohtuk9 said:
saganaga » 16 Jul 2019, 23:07[/url]":2xohtuk9]
Note that the rear shocks should be rebuildable with Progressive springs.

A pair of springs run around $100, and the rebuild kit runs around $35, IIRC. One sign of sagging rear shocks with tired springs is that the bike is hard to get on the center stand.

I just got my rear springs and seals today, and finished the rebuild of both OE shocks this evening. Too tired to test-ride safely tonight, so tomorrow after work, maybe. Wasn't difficult, or expensive to do, either. -Graves-

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211194#p211194:1t3z9cib said:
Gumbo » Yesterday, 9:41 pm[/url]":1t3z9cib]
... I’ve ordered a new set of rear shocks. Getting rid of the air ride all together.
I'm thinking of going that route with my '81 Interstate. What are you getting and what have others tried? Thanx, Dave

I'm running Progressive 412 shocks on my 83. I'm very happy with them. I run them on the middle preload setting. IIRC, I paid around $230 from an eBay seller

Whatever was listed as standard for the 1100. 13-something I think.. I wanted to get 1200 shocks because they're an inch or so taller but i was unable to verify if the bushings were the same as the 1100

Latest posts