Alternator kit?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
As most of you already know, I was working on a kit.

I had a partner helping me here locally, he started getting physical problems or his wife is very anti motorcycle and not letting him work on it, not sure.

So with work and all there was no time left and no donor bike to work on.
Well now I have a donor bike but no partner, still dont have much time available but I could make time if anyone wants to partner up.

Give me a shout if your interested.

Some say the bracket is over built but that's the way I do things, I dont like vibration or cheesy install.

Dan.
My machinist has a question regarding the crank pulley he is making for my bike.
Because the cut is rectangular
He want to make sure he has it right . should he cut it .120" deep and .105'.wide. for the key?
and Could you explain the measurements so I can be sure,.105" and.172" and .350" ? Are those the actual cuts he is to make.
Is the>105" thick measurement the actual heigth , and the >172" the actual width of the cut ?
Thanks a million!

David?

The pulley is on the bike so I can't take any measurements but I do have a crankshaft in the garage. I'll study the dimensions against the crank tonight when I have more time. I want to give you the correct information.

Dan, I am not expert but I love problem solving and looking over yours and others alternator addon I come up with an idea. I do not know if or how this could work but I was perusing a site other day something rankak(sp) and he makes a dual 2 Bbl conversion for 1100. with carbs and filters outside fautank would it be possible to run that belt straight up from crank and place new, larger alt where carbs used to be? Too dark to go look at Bella and wanted to put it down before I slept.

mortiki":1s51qq1x said:
Dan, I am not expert but I love problem solving and looking over yours and others alternator addon I come up with an idea. I do not know if or how this could work but I was perusing a site other day something rankak(sp) and he makes a dual 2 Bbl conversion for 1100. with carbs and filters outside fautank would it be possible to run that belt straight up from crank and place new, larger alt where carbs used to be? Too dark to go look at Bella and wanted to put it down before I slept.

That's Randakks.

To run a 4 inch pulley I'm sure the radiator bottom would still have to move out but not anywhere as much as when the alt is on the side.

After sleeping on it I think I understand a little more. I looked at Bella and Trixie and here are my thoughts in light of other posts I read.

Would not need a bigger alt. The stock gen supplies basic bike adequately. You just need the extra boost for slow rides and/or extra lighting. A 40-45amp alt would be enough and if you used a mini then it would fit with stock carbs in place of the air dam. Those air dam bolts seems rock solid and bracket could span between them with adjuster on one and pivot on other side. Wire up alt to bus bar and route extra lights and fan to it and leave stock lights and ignition to gen. If I remember auto alts correctly they do not put out progressive amps with RPMs as a gen does, they adjust themselves to maintain steady current flow.

To add a alternator devoted to powering only the extra loads isolated you'd have to have a second battery.
I don't see a need for that. I simply unplugged the stock regulator and power everything with a 45 amp Denso mini.
Works like a charm.

Need help... I completed the conversion. Disconnected the three yellow wires just to the left of the battery. Went to connect the alternator cable to the positive battery post and it sparked once. Got the cable connected and tried to start the bike. No worky :( :( :(

Double checked the timing. Checked the spark plugs. Turning over just fine. Plenty of fuel. Engine run switch is on 'run'.

Am I missing something here? :?: :?: :?:

Thanks,

Dan,

Thanks for the advise! I double checked the crank sensor and it was slightly off. You have to remove one of the sensors at the crank gear at the front of the engine to remove the left timing belt and since it is magnetic it can set itself too close to the crank gear and not send the correct signal to the computer.

Bike is running fine now :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
:thanks:

I'm sorry :oops: :cry: , I didn't have the forethought to take pictures as I was doing the conversion.

Got one other issue that I'm not sure to be a part of the conversion of with timing.

It seems that the bike just doesn't have the same power as it did before, i.e. 5th gear doesn't seem to have the same pickup it did making it more necessary to drop to 4th to speed up, mainly on hills.

Thanks,

Latest posts